Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WireGuard Takes Another Step Towards The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: WireGuard Takes Another Step Towards The Mainline Linux Kernel

Jason Donenfeld who has now spent years working on WireGuard as an in-kernel, secure network tunnel sent out a second version of his kernel patches on Friday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have been considering off and on a VPN for the sake of an added layer of protection besides java script blocking. Aside from using something like OpenDNS, I am still on the fence. Will it help in protecting things like my Steam library '20 bucks here 5 dollars there, 40 dollars here, it all adds up and would not want have to purchase such things all over again cause stuff got stolen from something on Steams own layer of security?". I think no. Usually when a breach has been made it is usually by the compromising of something like the service on the services' end of things.

I don't really see any benefit for me. Unless I was doing something like going around being a troll all over the place, whats the point?

Am I an amateur when understanding such things?

How would it protect a musician, artist, general tech researcher, and general world researcher?

When peeling back the veil on what is, it is done by intuition of simply being. Knowing by faculties of mind, heart and will. I think I am now talking about a whole other machine, the self and everything outside the self is reduced to external machinery.

Comment

Been using WireGuard for a few weeks now without a single issue.

@creative: I don't think you need VPN. It will not protect against those things. Just keep your login credentials to yourself, use unique passwords for all your different accounts and you will be fine.

Comment

I also switched from OpenVPN to WireGuard and the difference is huge. I had to regularly restart the OpenVPN connection but I've yet to restart the WireGuard connection. And the much lower overhead is much appreciated. While DKMS works fine I can't wait for it to be mainlined.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
          Been using WireGuard for a few weeks now without a single issue.

@creative: I don't think you need VPN. It will not protect against those things. Just keep your login credentials to yourself, use unique passwords for all your different accounts and you will be fine.
          +1. Also use the steam application, or two factor where you can (preferably with a FIDO token, or with a phone application, or by SMS as a last resort).

creative
          Here, it is mostly useful as a regular VPN, to connect private networks between them. Think secure access to unsecured computers on the local network (that are behind a firewall, for instance; though in practice that would be used to access unsecured services that run on a server that only allows VPN access... you could even use telnet "securely" if you wanted).
          This isn't the only use, and you can also use it to access the net from another network (as a proxy), which is probably best known from the general public. To circumvent censorship, geo-restricted content, or have access to academic journals your institution pays for.

Wireguards brings with it simplicity of authentication (can be argued), better roaming, better performance, and better security (terse, hard to detect, and simpler-to-audit code). I think that's about it? But that's already very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

+1. Also use the steam application, or two factor where you can (preferably with a FIDO token, or with a phone application, or by SMS as a last resort).

creative
            Here, it is mostly useful as a regular VPN, to connect private networks between them. Think secure access to unsecured computers on the local network (that are behind a firewall, for instance; though in practice that would be used to access unsecured services that run on a server that only allows VPN access... you could even use telnet "securely" if you wanted).
            This isn't the only use, and you can also use it to access the net from another network (as a proxy), which is probably best known from the general public. To circumvent censorship, geo-restricted content, or have access to academic journals your institution pays for.

Wireguards brings with it simplicity of authentication (can be argued), better roaming, better performance, and better security (terse, hard to detect, and simpler-to-audit code). I think that's about it? But that's already very nice.
            I'll also add Wireguard is much easier to configure than other VPNs.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I'll also add Wireguard is much easier to configure than other VPNs.
              I guess it was pretty easy, but I'm looking forward to the day when it's implemented in GNOME so I don't have to rely on CLI.

Comment

The code seems extremely readable at a glance. I would say it is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                  I have been considering off and on a VPN for the sake of an added layer of protection besides java script blocking. Aside from using something like OpenDNS, I am still on the fence. Will it help in protecting things like my Steam library '20 bucks here 5 dollars there, 40 dollars here, it all adds up and would not want have to purchase such things all over again cause stuff got stolen from something on Steams own layer of security?". I think no. Usually when a breach has been made it is usually by the compromising of something like the service on the services' end of things.

I don't really see any benefit for me. Unless I was doing something like going around being a troll all over the place, whats the point?

Am I an amateur when understanding such things?

How would it protect a musician, artist, general tech researcher, and general world researcher?

When peeling back the veil on what is, it is done by intuition of simply being. Knowing by faculties of mind, heart and will. I think I am now talking about a whole other machine, the self and everything outside the self is reduced to external machinery.
                  I use a VPN when I need to switch my IP, because my ISP only changes it every 24h or so.
                  I got the VPn for free, if not i wouldn't have bothered obviously.

Comment

Is anyone know how to use WireGuard tunnel configured with networkd as default route?

Example: https://lists.zx2c4.com/pipermail/wi...ry/002365.html

Comment

Working...
                    X