NVIDIA 396.54 Linux Driver Released To Fix A OpenGL/Vulkan Performance Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 396.54 Linux Driver Released To Fix A OpenGL/Vulkan Performance Bug

Phoronix: NVIDIA 396.54 Linux Driver Released To Fix A OpenGL/Vulkan Performance Bug

One day after announcing the GeForce RTX 2070/2080 series, NVIDIA has released a new Linux driver. But it's not a major new driver branch at this time (that's presumably coming closer to the 20 September launch date) with the Turing GPU support, but is a point release delivering a practical bug fix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So guys... I did a thing. Ordered a 1070 for $296 (edit: now going for $399! glad I pulled the trigger) (edit 2: got scammed, not so glad I pulled the trigger. My RX 480 shall live on for now!) shipped this morning from Amazon. I'm pretty stoked. Upgrading over my RX 480 and likely selling it. They appear to be going for $300 used on Amazon right now.

I figured since I do all my gaming on 1080p, I won't need the RTX/2070, and I don't even need a GeForce 1080 or Ti, and that's how I landed on the 1070 so I pulled the trigger once I saw the deal. Gonna be a pretty nice step up from the RX 480 that I picked up February 2017 (upgraded from a GeForce 650 Ti).

I'll miss the AMD family. I will keep in touch. This is not goodbye.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 24 August 2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      So guys... I did a thing. Ordered a 1070 for $296 shipped this morning from Amazon. I'm pretty stoked. Upgrading over my RX 480 and likely selling it. They appear to be going for $300 used on Amazon right now.

I figured since I do all my gaming on 1080p, I won't need the RTX/2070, and I don't even need a GeForce 1080 or Ti, and that's how I landed on the 1070 so I pulled the trigger once I saw the deal. Gonna be a pretty nice step up from the RX 480 that I picked up February 2017 (upgraded from a GeForce 650 Ti).

AMD ought to do something about this...

You abide the wrath of Proprietary Drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

AMD ought to do something about this...

You abide the wrath of Proprietary Drivers...
        I was worried this wouldn't go over well.

Tell me more about those proprietary firmware blobs :P

Comment

openSUSE Tumbleweed + manually installed nv drivers work great (1050 Ti + triple screen).

Comment

So guys... I did a thing. Ordered a 1070 for $296 shipped this morning from Amazon. I'm pretty stoked. Upgrading over my RX 480 and likely selling it. They appear to be going for $300 used on Amazon right now.

Hey, thats actually a decent price. I'm surprised not many mention this, but right before a new generation of cards is usually a good time to buy becouse retailers lower their prices drastically to get rid of soon to be "old" cards. That's how I got my first Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury, then I bought another second hand a few months ago. No need to be early adopter on the GPU market. Actually it's pretty stupid with such inflated prices.

Comment

Guessing you bought the Zotac GTX 1070 Mini?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Hey, thats actually a decent price. I'm surprised not many mention this, but right before a new generation of cards is usually a good time to buy becouse retailers lower their prices drastically to get rid of soon to be "old" cards. That's how I got my first Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury, then I bought another second hand a few months ago. No need to be early adopter on the GPU market. Actually it's pretty stupid with such inflated prices.
                Totally agree. My CPU is an i5-4670K clocked at 4.5GHz, so I think with this GTX 1070 and the 860 EVO I recently picked up, I should be smooth sailing until Zen 2. (my next CPU will almost certainly be AMD).

Originally posted by creative View Post

Guessing you bought the Zotac GTX 1070 Mini?
                Haha sure did, saw that deal posted earlier today on the interwebs and pulled the trigger. I was eyeing an RTX 2070 until I had to check myself on whether it made any sense for my machine and demands. Unfortunately I can't find the original MSI box for this RX 480, not sure how I'm going to sell it...

Lastly- I'm excited for the Mini form factor on this card. The MSI RX 480 is a goddamn beast in size. It's unpleasant and probably not the best for the airflow in my case. Zotac seemed to be getting solid reviews on Amazon/Newegg. I also appreciate the simplicity of the card without all the RGB stuff.

Comment

perpetually high I have the same card, nice card. Don't freak out if you start hearing it's fans buzz or rattle on spin down, tons of dual fan cards these days do it. It is the nature of the bearings at lower rpms. The fans kick in around 60c and starts intermittant spin up and off until it hits bellow 50c. I like compact cards like this cause they make for really nice airflow in a midtower. Of coarse you can always enable coolbits to have it running around 1200-1400 rpms all the time if you want so you don't have to hear the noise. The max rpm of the fans is a bit over 3000 but generally if you have good air flow you should see under heavy load about 2500rpms.

On to the the latest driver. I noticed better numbers in the Rise of The Tomb Raider benchmark. Sadly I am still having to see Mad Max and his Tron hairdoo on the games character menu, when oh when will Vulkan beta for Mad Max go post beta? I guess it does not matter, everything is peachy in game.

I now have 45 steam linux games. That is more than both my PS3 and PS4 combined

Comment

I just let the card run on auto for the fans, some people will write scripts for a custom fan curve.

I made one in windows 10 with firestorm but I still reverted to auto. Best to let the fans run on auto. On my cpu I have a custom fan curve drawn in the bios with my cryorig m9i fan though.

Comment

Working...
                    X