Kate/KTextEditor Picks Up Many Improvements To Enhance KDE Text Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kate/KTextEditor Picks Up Many Improvements To Enhance KDE Text Editing

Phoronix: Kate/KTextEditor Picks Up Many Improvements To Enhance KDE Text Editing

Even with KDE's annual Akademy conference happening this past week in Vienna, KDE development has been going strong especially on the usability front. The Kate text editor and the KTextEditor component within KDE Frameworks 5 have been the largest benefactors of recent improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find KATE to be one of the best open-source text editors, my only gripe with it is how heavily it depends on other KDE libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I find KATE to be one of the best open-source text editors, my only gripe with it is how heavily it depends on other KDE libraries.
      Well, that's the whole point of KDE libs. To make it easier to develop such applications.

Comment

My favorite resource in Kate is the built in terminal emulator. Everything you need in one window.

Comment

I wish they impreved performance on big files. There's bug for that as apparently it's regression compared to kde3. Perhaps they could do some mmap tricks on local filesystems. Otherwise it's perfect for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
            I wish they impreved performance on big files. There's bug for that as apparently it's regression compared to kde3. Perhaps they could do some mmap tricks on local filesystems. Otherwise it's perfect for my needs.
            I'm gonna ask the old question: have you reported it or thought of contributing on an existing bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

I'm gonna ask the old question: have you reported it or thought of contributing on an existing bug report?
              While I fixed Dolphin on-mouse-over hints positioning and scaling on multiscreen setups back in KDE4 days, reworking KTextEditor backend entirely for unknown gain is different matter. And I'm sure devs are aware of improvement opportunities, it's just a matter of time which is a limited resource.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Well, that's the whole point of KDE libs. To make it easier to develop such applications.
                Unfortunately, because of shitty documentation, it is not so easy if you are not an advanced developer.

I considered using it, but in the end, implementing my own syntax highlighter was easier because Qt has pretty good documentation

Comment

A feature that has often desired for some time is an autosave feature for unsaved untitled documents, so that if the power goes out a document can be recovered. It really is a must because it is often the case that one forgets to save a document to a file while they are working on it and its reasonable to save a copy even if it has not yet been saved to a named file. Kate currently autosaves documents saved to a named file but does not autosave documents which have not been saved to a named file, this is a problem because many dont always remember to save the file to a named file. It can be an option so people who dont need it dont have to use it. Yes libreoffice has it, but it would nice to be able to have it without having to load libreoffice.

Comment

Working...
                  X