L1 Terminal Fault - The Latest Speculative Execution Side Channel Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 Terminal Fault - The Latest Speculative Execution Side Channel Attack

Phoronix: L1 Terminal Fault - The Latest Speculative Execution Side Channel Attack

Details are still light but a new vulnerability is coming out called the L1 Terminal Fault. It's been described as a "train-wreck" and is another big deal in the security space as the latest speculative side-channel attack vector...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At first, by the name I thought you meant it was possible to leak data from a TTY...

Another win for AMD, I guess.

Comment

The shit fan is blowing pretty hard in Intels face right now...

Comment

when will this cpu issues stop being discovered? man, at this rate intel processors are going to become abacus and amd ones pocket calculators

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow

...and eventually the wind's force will make Intel collapse...
          Not likely. Security-conshious customers are rarer than FSF supporters inside MS.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            when will this cpu issues stop being discovered? man, at this rate intel processors are going to become abacus and amd ones pocket calculators
            It seems AMD isn't affected. But I'm pretty sure that everyone and their dong will just disable the mitigations because they need performance.

Comment

Edit: Deleted, I wanted to press "Cancel", but hit Post by accident. I should know better than to use a smartphone.
              Last edited by soulsource; 14 August 2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

SUSE has their updates and info: https://www.suse.com/c/suse-addresse...l-fault-issue/
                Share with friends and colleagues on social mediaToday, the security community and industry vendors revealed information about a hardware security vulnerability called “L1 Terminal fault”. Very similar to Meltdown in its nature, the vulnerability is sensitive to a side-channel-attack during speculative execution, and may lead to the disclosure of otherwise protected data. While a full …

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
                  Edit: Deleted, I wanted to press "Cancel", but hit Post by accident. I should know better than to use a smartphone.
                  Yeah, shame on you, on your family, on your friends for doing that.

Comment

Well, I am a bit rusty on this but one idea would be to hit N cache lines from the new context at the context change making sure there is at least N lines L1 DATA cache to be prefetched, maybe keep a L1 size 0 buffer to zap the rest if it's less than the size. This might even improve performances in some cases with a form of prefetch ?

Comment

Working...
                    X