SIGGRAPH 2018: OpenCL-Next Taking Shape, Vulkan Continues Evolving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIGGRAPH 2018: OpenCL-Next Taking Shape, Vulkan Continues Evolving

Phoronix: SIGGRAPH 2018: OpenCL-Next Taking Shape, Vulkan Continues Evolving

It's a busy week folks as besides the AMD Threadripper 2 performance embargo expiring, it is also SIGGRAPH 2018 week in Vancouver and as well the start of the Linux 4.19 kernel cycle... No longer under wraps are the Khronos announcements from this annual graphics conference. Continue reading to learn about the latest happenings for the various Khronos industry-standard APIs and efforts like Vulkan and OpenCL-Next.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been doing a lot of OpenCL the last few months, and my impression is that most of all what is needed is more reliable compilers.

It only needs one small part of your code to be unoptimally translated to make your code much slower. And unfortunately all vendors have their weaknesses. I haven't tried using SPIR, but I doubt it will help as from my understanding vendors optimize it afterwards.

Btw, does one know if rocm opencl is meant to replace amdgpu-pro opencl, and if so, when (rocm is still way to hard to install, needing special kernel module and a lot of specific packages) ?

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
      Btw, does one know if rocm opencl is meant to replace amdgpu-pro opencl, and if so, when (rocm is still way to hard to install, needing special kernel module and a lot of specific packages) ?
      Check out:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by ribalda View Post

Check out:

Hum, the article is not very clear to me about that precise question. Basically it says 'Orca' will be replaced by 'PAL(Portable Abstraction Layer)', but to me the name indicates it's about their linux kernel layer, not about opencl kernel compiltation. Will it still use the proprietary stack or use the rocm compiler ?

Comment

"OpenCL continues to support accelerators and other features that are not entirely relevant in the Vulkan spectrum" but if those features will be optional in opencl they could have been added to vulkan instead
          Last edited by GunpowaderGuy; 13 August 2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hope to use soon my Samsung Odyssey with steamvr/openxr.

Comment

No transform feedback yet?

Comment

Working...
              X