Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Blaster Recon3D Finally Seeing Better Linux Support

Phoronix: Sound Blaster Recon3D Finally Seeing Better Linux Support

Creative Labs launched the Recon3D sound card the better part of a decade ago and finally patches have emerged providing for better Linux driver support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've always had a fear for Creative sound cards/chips...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Creative Recon3Di was already supported by Linux
    ...poorly. Sometimes I'd get a high-pass filter on the output for no reason (which can't be disabled), and JACK didn't go any lower than 1024 samples (as if it was a hardware limitation)...
    Heck, even Windows 8 had problems with the card (sometimes it wouldn't be recognized after a suspend/reboot).

Comment

It might be a better idea to get a USB sound card with a good DAC (digial-to-analog converter).

Comment

Michael
        Looks like you got some spam on the old X-fi driver article:

"Message From Actualtests: Using our latest braindumps, not only you will pass 642-631 certification exam but also help to gain additional knowledge for next level 642-975 exam."

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Michael
          Looks like you got some spam on the old X-fi driver article:

"Message From Actualtests: Using our latest braindumps, not only you will pass 642-631 certification exam but also help to gain additional knowledge for next level 642-975 exam."
          An in-article advertisement a company paid for a few years after the article came out... for SEO purposes or something.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Now I know what sound card I'm buying for when I install Debian.

Comment

I have a Asus Xonar U5 (USB) and it gained a strange defect a couple months ago: it only works on AMD based computers... It started making click noises, like when you change the output (from headphones to speakers and vice-versa), but a lot of it. Now, it do not work on all Intel based systems I tried (laptops and desktops) and at last on a desktop AMD system I have (a MSI board), it locks the boot sequence and it only continues after I unplug the card. After that, it works fine.

It's a shame, since it worked beautifully on Linux and I got accustomed to change the output between speakers and headphone, without the need to plug/unplug the P2 connector. AFAIK, no Creative based soundcard can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                I have a Asus Xonar U5 (USB) and it gained a strange defect a couple months ago: it only works on AMD based computers... It started making click noises, like when you change the output (from headphones to speakers and vice-versa), but a lot of it. Now, it do not work on all Intel based systems I tried (laptops and desktops) and at last on a desktop AMD system I have (a MSI board), it locks the boot sequence and it only continues after I unplug the card. After that, it works fine.

It's a shame, since it worked beautifully on Linux and I got accustomed to change the output between speakers and headphone, without the need to plug/unplug the P2 connector. AFAIK, no Creative based soundcard can do that.
                I don't own the USB model, but I do have a D2, and the click you hear when switching outputs is an electromagnet. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

I had a creative soundblaster which I returned since had no Linux support and awful mic static noise. Then got an Asus u7 which was working fine until it didn't. Probably a bunch of manufacturing issues since I was not the only one who saw his card stop functioning after only a few months. Now I went back to a Razer ac1 which works great on Linux because if the oxygen drivers, but I barely use it since I am using Bluetooth headphones which don't use a soundcard. Maybe the soundcard could deal with some postprocessing I dunno.

Comment

I'm still using an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Mostly because it sounds fine, just works and I have no idea what to replace it with.

Comment

Working...
                    X