Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Features Of The Linux 4.18 Kernel

Phoronix: The Best Features Of The Linux 4.18 Kernel

Following a one week delay, the Linux 4.18 kernel is set to be released this coming weekend. In case you forgot about the new features and improvements since the Linux 4.18 cycle kicked off back in June, here's a look back at some of the most prominent additions for this latest kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The VegaM support is the most exciting change for me. Looking to replace my 2014 Macbook Pro with a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1.

Comment

is there any work done for supporting 280x

Comment

rt5640 / rt5651 jack detection with new UCMs from alsa-lib master.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          is there any work done for supporting 280x
          Radeon 280X? Should be supported by AMDGPU for a long time now...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The Steam Controller kernel driver was used for easily using
            Seems something is wrong in the article no?

Comment

With the call to remove Speck, will that potentially cause a delay or an RC-9?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                The VegaM support is the most exciting change for me. Looking to replace my 2014 Macbook Pro with a Dell XPS 15 2-in-1.
                I've been running 4.18-rc kernels and Vega M has been working really well! I currently own a Dell XPS 15 2 in 1 and can report that all hardware is working perfectly. One thing worth mentioning is that I needed to download the Vega M firmware and manually rebuild my initramfs to get things to work correctly. I would also highly recommend undervolting the CPU to give yourself more thermal headroom.

Currently using Kernel 4.18-rc8 and Mesa 18.1.5. Looking forward to Mesa 18.2 and LLVM 7.0!

Comment

Originally posted by rstrube View Post

I've been running 4.18-rc kernels and Vega M has been working really well! I currently own a Dell XPS 15 2 in 1 and can report that all hardware is working perfectly. One thing worth mentioning is that I needed to download the Vega M firmware and manually rebuild my initramfs to get things to work correctly. I would also highly recommend undervolting the CPU to give yourself more thermal headroom.

Currently using Kernel 4.18-rc8 and Mesa 18.1.5. Looking forward to Mesa 18.2 and LLVM 7.0!
                  Hey! How did you undervolt your XPS on linux. tbh I haven't really looked into it all that much but it is comforting to know someone has pulled it off on the same laptop that I have.

What are your values and how much of a difference has it made to the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by rstrube View Post

Why did you have to rebuild the initramfs? Does it use the Intel GPU if you just boot the 4.18 kernel normally? Which distro is this?

Comment

Working...
                    X