Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 4.19 Will Have Enhanced IBRS For Better Spectre V2 Protection On Future Intel CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Will Have Enhanced IBRS For Better Spectre V2 Protection On Future Intel CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Will Have Enhanced IBRS For Better Spectre V2 Protection On Future Intel CPUs

Besides the Linux 4.19 kernel slated to introduce initial SpectreRSB protection, this next kernel version should also introduce support for Enhanced IBRS as a better means of Spectre Variant Two mitigation to be supported by future Intel CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to know. Of course not too long after releasing their new chips lets say about a year or so down the road, someone will find new vulnerabilites thus gimping new and old tech as well. I am starting to feel as though a lot of this is planned obsolescence.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      Good to know. Of course not too long after releasing their new chips lets say about a year or so down the road, someone will find new vulnerabilites thus gimping new and old tech as well. I am starting to feel as though a lot of this is planned obsolescence.
      It may be planned, but it's not forced. I have no shame booting with "pti=off spectre_v2=off" and turning on Strict Site Isolation in Google Chrome, and not running random code I download from the interwebs. I understand why it needs to be on for default, but maybe not necessarily on my innocent desktop.

Comment

I have actually left all of the stuff on at boot. I have not really seen any performance drop in what I do. Though in Windows 10 which I hardly ever boot to, it does have some bit of impact. I am not really griping about the mitigations. Was actually kind of pointing out something I feel could be what is going on. You know it is good that it is not a forced thing, however, I still leave it on because you never know honestly. The later variants are something else that will be addressed further along, I have yet to see firmware updates for 3a and variant 4 yet.

Generally speaking software bloat moves along at clip that far exceeds any of the impacts any of the performance hits these patches take on a given system 'I feel that is to say that that is the case'. I have always opted for low resource windows managers, that is why a lot of desktop linux users are not really that effected with what these performance hits actually are. So I do not have a core 2 duo, and am not running my phenom ii 945 at the moment so I can't really say but even then with those older chips I have a hard time seeing a major drain.

I will eventually truly find out as I will be building a seperate DSP station to extend my sound design and music production reach with that 945 within a year or so.
        Last edited by creative; 03 August 2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          On the yet-to-be-relased Intel CPUs

Comment

Working...
          X