Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Aims To Better Support FPGAs

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Aims To Better Support FPGAs

A rather late self-contained feature proposal for the in-development Fedora 29 is to better support FPGAs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo? (Zyng -> Zynq).

Comment

Zyng
      I think you mean "Xilinx" as Zynq is just the brand for their products with an ARM SoC and FPGA on the same chip.

Comment

Sounds great and all, but it's the vendors' task to do. If the distro and release are not officially supported, it's a no go, since their commercial support will not have a convo with you unless you're on a supported system.

When you're purchasing equipment and/or software costing several thousand dollars (sometimes several tens of thousands), you simply can't risk that, because issues WILL arise, so unsupported distros are out of question.

Most vendors don't even support "community" distros, only commercial ones, i.e. RHEL, SUSE. Heck, most of them doesn't even support Windows. So yeah, they're picky and lazy.

Some of our FPGA software to this day won't support anything newer than RHEL 7.2 (2.5 years old). Which is funny because even extended support has ended last November for that. So essentially we can choose between "OS not supported by OS vendor" and "OS not supported by FPGA vendor".

But yeah, go ahead Fedora, I'm sure as hell a lot of vendors will pick you up rofl

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          Most vendors don't even support "community" distros, only commercial ones, i.e. RHEL, SUSE. Heck, most of them doesn't even support Windows. So yeah, they're picky and lazy.
          [ ] You understand the difference between the runtime environment of the toolchain and the system where the code is deployed

Comment

Working...
          X