Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.5 Compat Being Worked On For RadeonSI, Helping Out No Man's Sky & Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.5 Compat Being Worked On For RadeonSI, Helping Out No Man's Sky & Others

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.5 Compat Being Worked On For RadeonSI, Helping Out No Man's Sky & Others

What does Valve's Linux GPU driver developer Timothy Arceri do now that he took the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver up to OpenGL 4.4 in its compatibility profile mode? Work on OpenGL 4.5 compatibility profile support, of course...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OpenGL 4.5 Compat Being Worked On For RadeonSI, Helping Out No Man's Sky & Others

What does Valve's Linux GPU driver developer Timothy Arceri do now that he took the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver up to OpenGL 4.4 in its compatibility profile mode? Work on OpenGL 4.5 compatibility profile support, of course...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...RadeonSI-Start
    Any ideas on how to benchmark/micro benchmark DSA in core vs compat with OpenGL4.5? Would be interesting to see whether this will have a significant performance hit

Comment

Awesome, just in time for No Man's Sky NEXT coming this July!

Comment

It looks like Mesa devs are doing more work for NMS than NMS devs themselves. And for free. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          It looks like Mesa devs are doing more work for NMS than NMS devs themselves. And for free. Very nice.
          Timothy is employed by Valve to do this - work isn't free, it's just about who pays the bill

Comment

What?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            One game helped out by this override is using the game No Man's Sky under Wine

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Any ideas on how to benchmark/micro benchmark DSA in core vs compat with OpenGL4.5? Would be interesting to see whether this will have a significant performance hit
              The current patch just enables the core DSA methods to be exported while in compat mode, so I don't think there's any reason that there would be any performance differences. Unless there are just general perf differences between compat and core overall. All the specific compat changes that need to be made in DSA are why 4.5 isn't enabled by default yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Timothy is employed by Valve to do this - work isn't free, it's just about who pays the bill
                I meant it's free for the users. NMS is still the same price as new AAA titles of the largest and greediest companies, despite all the negative reviews and the game being what it is. Not counting temporary sales, like the current one, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

The current patch just enables the core DSA methods to be exported while in compat mode, so I don't think there's any reason that there would be any performance differences. Unless there are just general perf differences between compat and core overall. All the specific compat changes that need to be made in DSA are why 4.5 isn't enabled by default yet.
                  That's what I was angling at. Code using DSA most likely Is written by someone with at least some grasp of modern GL and efficiency. I'd be interested at the end of all of this to know if there's some general "I'm going to put a barrier here because otherwise state goes wonky for some compat method that isn't in reality even used" sort of things involved

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

I meant it's free for the users. NMS is still the same price as new AAA titles of the largest and greediest companies, despite all the negative reviews and the game being what it is. Not counting temporary sales, like the current one, of course.
                    I bought my copy from GOG for £15 hardly a massive price, the game became decent around the third upgrade (Atlas Rises).

It's not a game for everybody though.

Comment

Working...
                    X