Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croteam Incubator's IHRB Gets Linux Support

Phoronix: Croteam Incubator's IHRB Gets Linux Support

If you are looking for a new Linux-native game to enjoy this weekend, the Croteam Incubator project I Hate Running Backwards is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More games should to support local co-op, just because of that I will instantly buy this!

It's so fun, currently I mostly emulate GameCube games for local multiplayer but I wish more modern quality games supported it.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's more fun to invite over a few friends rather than talk on skype/discord/whatever over the internet.
    Last edited by johanb; 29 June 2018, 08:35 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
      More games should to support local co-op, just because of that I will instantly buy this!

It's so fun, currently I mostly emulate GameCube games for local multiplayer but I wish more modern quality games supported it.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's more fun to invite over a few friends rather than talk on skype/discord/whatever over the internet.
      I couldn't agree more - local multiplayer is even being phased out on consoles.

Many times I've contemplated on building a PC dedicated to multiplayer gaming (where it would take online multiplayer games and make them local), but, I've had too hard of a time justifying the time and cost it would take to do it.

Anyway, Steam does let you know when something is local multiplayer. There is a decent selection out there, I just wish it was higher.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        For those not in the loop:
        no local multiplayer is both a DRM and a planned obsolescence killswitch (as they can just shut down servers once they think it's "enough").

Decent games provide free game server applications so you can make your own game servers (which run so much better than games where one of the player PCs is the "host" or server).

Comment

I bought it immediately. Another nice game for my Ryzen 2400G HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Decent games provide free game server applications so you can make your own game servers (which run so much better than games where one of the player PCs is the "host" or server).
            I agree, though nowadays with 8+ threads being so affordable, having a player's PC also act as the host/server isn't such a problem anymore.

Comment

I know a lot of PC players will scoff the idea of buying and playing indie games, but unfortunately that is where most of innovation and experimentation is nowadays.

Sure, there is literally thousands of SMB clones and "metroidvanias" out there, but there is also a lot of indie developers trying to find some new game play. To be the next Minecraff of PU:BG. AAA studios are dealing with so much money, that they are not allowed to deviate from well developed formulas, because investors want money back at all costs.
              l
              So I'm glad Linux is on the radar of a lot of indie developers. There is more great games on Linux out there than I have money or time to play. They are not AAAs? Well, I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                For those not in the loop:
                no local multiplayer is both a DRM and a planned obsolescence killswitch (as they can just shut down servers once they think it's "enough").
                Well said and very, very true. Unfortunately, since this game is developed using the prosumer product known as Unity (which is full of DRM), when Unity dies and the activation servers shut down, this game will also become impossible to play (either single-player or local co-op) on modern platforms even if they release the code open-source.

DRM in tools basically spreads like cancer.

It is a shame, because the game actually looks quite fun.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I agree, though nowadays with 8+ threads being so affordable, having a player's PC also act as the host/server isn't such a problem anymore.
                  Game servers have never been particularly heavy (apart from Minecraft anyway), the main issue is latency and bandwith.

Which I agree isn't a major issue for local games, I was talking of "how multiplayer games should remain", which includes gaming over the internet.

Many people I know can't really find the time to get together to play in LAN from half a country of distance, because of job and life reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Well said and very, very true. Unfortunately, since this game is developed using the prosumer product known as Unity (which is full of DRM), when Unity dies and the activation servers shut down, this game will also become impossible to play (either single-player or local co-op) on modern platforms even if they release the code open-source.
                    No wait, I'm pretty sure it was only for the development environment, while the game does not require activation from Unity servers.
                    Got any source for that statement?

Comment

Working...
                    X