Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 vs. Windows 10 Desktop Performance

Phoronix: Wine 3.10 vs. Ubuntu 18.04 vs. Windows 10 Desktop Performance

Here are some fresh benchmarks comparing the performance of a variety of cross-platform Windows/Linux desktop applications when benchmarking the native Windows 10 binaries, the Windows binaries under Wine 3.10 on Ubuntu 18.04, and then the native Linux binaries itself on Ubuntu 18.04. All tests were done on the same system and these results do a good job at showing the potential (and shortcomings) of Wine from a performance perspective.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that is actually quite insightful! Thanks Michael - I can't wait for the gaming benchmarks!

Comment

I'm curious if the wine results would be the same if compiling with libwine instead of using the runtime bin since all these are pretty much CPU based tests.

Comment

We can assume that gaming overhead is there not only from D3D to OGL translation but Wine has also other problems to.

Comment

Pretty cool seeing Wine benchmarks. I was really surprised to see there were actually instances of Wine outperforming bare-metal Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
            We can assume that gaming overhead is there not only from D3D to OGL translation but Wine has also other problems to.
            Thread synchronization is a huge issue for gaming on wine, and I would assume that this is (part of) the reason for somewhat poor x264 performance on wine as well. A lot of games are basically unplayable with 16 threads on my Ryzen rig but run well with 4, 6 or 8 threads.

Didn't expect the file system stuff to be that bad though, especially since it doesn't seem to matter nearly as much in practice as the benchmark shows.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
              Thread synchronization is a huge issue for gaming on wine, and I would assume that this is (part of) the reason for somewhat poor x264 performance on wine as well. A lot of games are basically unplayable with 16 threads on my Ryzen rig but run well with 4, 6 or 8 threads.

Didn't expect the file system stuff to be that bad though, especially since it doesn't seem to matter nearly as much in practice as the benchmark shows.
              I guess that the file creation bench creates a lot of files which you perhaps does not do in practice, anyway the wine number is still only 0.01120535s anyway so it's not like a big number unless one represents it in µs as the chart does.

Comment

I am curious how would linux deepin perform, since it comes with crossover installed.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                  This would be nice to profile because this behavior is either a regression or that specific benchmark is hitting a very specific nasty bug because Wine has always been faster for me than Win10 on I/O heavy stuff.

For example:

1.) Archerage(best ArcheAge server around) can take up to 5m loading fully into the game on HDD and up 2m running on my Sata3 SSD but on ArchLinux(Wine 3.10 + gallium nine) is pretty much 10 sec either from the same Sata SSD(XFS partition 4.18rc-1) or from my ZFS(game/media cold storage) RAID1 2TB volume.

2.) ModOrganizer2 for Skyrim SE(DXVK Baby!!!!)(yes it need a bunch of patches): so far I have like 25gb on mods(UHD textures, skse one, etc.) and opening it on Win10 is like 5m-10m on an HDD(my SSD is too full for this so no test there) while on Wine is pretty much a double click and count to 20 again either from SSD or from ZFS

3.) Very heavy games on level loads like Crysis3, Witcher3, etc. again Wine hands down just puke them on the screen while on windows 10 it can take 20x or more time to load.

P.D yeah my win10 is virus and (X*100*2344)ware free, no AV running, using Win10privacy, all services that can be safely disabled are, latest updates installed but I don't discard some of the bazillion retarded things windows 10 have running on background could be trashing my disks.

Comment

Nice. I hope Michael includes DXVK and CSMT-enabled/disabled in the Wine 3D benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X