Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Atomic Workstation To Be Renamed Fedora Silverblue

Phoronix: Fedora Atomic Workstation To Be Renamed Fedora Silverblue

Back in early May was the announcement of the Silverblue project as an evolution of Fedora Atomic Workstation and trying to get this atomic OS into shape by Fedora 30. Beginning with Fedora 29, the plan is to officially rename Fedora Atomic Workstation to Fedora Silverblue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't Atomic being folded into Core OS initiative? I don't know what to believe anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      Isn't Atomic being folded into Core OS initiative? I don't know what to believe anymore.
      Project Atomic is being folded into Core OS. Atomic Workstation is different from it and the name change is indicative of that.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
        I believe that this is the first step to "flatpack" packages on the long run. First step was to rename Atomic Workstation to Fedora Silverblue and the next step (maybe with Fedora 30 (or the following one)) to rename it to Fedora Workstation (as the main Distribution). But this is just my speculation based on my readings of their developers mailing list.

Following all the changes within Fedora (lately) this all smells like Fedora will become some sort of Mac'ish type OS, where you can drag and drop your downloaded Programs into some "Application" folder for further usage. Plus: a pre-compiled Linux inside Linux kinda system (called Flatpack runtime). Which we want to avoid having on our or our customers systems.

We - as in our company - have driven back all support for RPM based distros. We also stopped doing packages for customers. We will keep throwing an eye on the upcoming Fedora 29 and Fedora 30 versions and make our final decision - dropping Fedora and RHEL products entirely - based on these "signs". Fedora has always been an indicator where RHEL may head.

Meanwhile we will keep a closer look at Debian as an long-time solution for our future "Linux" presence...

Comment

FSB Workstation :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            We - as in our company - have driven back all support for RPM based distros. We also stopped doing packages for customers. We will keep throwing an eye on the upcoming Fedora 29 and Fedora 30 versions and make our final decision - dropping Fedora and RHEL products entirely - based on these "signs". Fedora has always been an indicator where RHEL may head.
            Would you care to elaborate what your beef is with RPM / Fedora ?

Comment

I believe that this is the first step to "flatpack" packages on the long run. First step was to rename Atomic Workstation to Fedora Silverblue and the next step (maybe with Fedora 30 (or the following one)) to rename it to Fedora Workstation (as the main Distribution). But this is just my speculation based on my readings of their developers mailing list.

Following all the changes within Fedora (lately) this all smells like Fedora will become some sort of Mac'ish type OS, where you can drag and drop your downloaded Programs into some "Application" folder for further usage. Plus: a pre-compiled Linux inside Linux kinda system (called Flatpack runtime). Which we want to avoid having on our or our customers systems.

Meanwhile we will keep a closer look at Debian as an long-time solution for our future "Linux" presence...
              No, it's about rpm-ostree, not Flatpak

Comment

Originally posted by cygn View Post
                Would you care to elaborate what your beef is with RPM / Fedora ?
                No problems with RPM. We are absolutely fine with it. The problem is that Fedora is most likely going the Flatpak path. And so may RHEL. We simply don't want to support such a move.

Comment

No problems with RPM. We are absolutely fine with it. The problem is that Fedora is most likely going the Flatpak path. And so may RHEL. We simply don't want to support such a move.
                  As a member of the Fedora community, I can say with some degree of certainty that the Workstation and IoT Working Groups are more or less the outliers in the greater Fedora community. The Fedora Server WG is focused on providing modularity-related enhancements (and "modules" are still just collections of RPMs), while still providing a fantastic traditional RPM-based system. All of the Fedora spins so far have indicated no particular interest in "Flatpaking the world".

And Flatpaks literally aren't designed to replace the system software delivery method (contrary to some of the marketing). It does, however, make it easier to deliver a limited subset of desktop applications across a wide array of systems easily, and I think it's a perfectly fine thing to work on.

The Atomic/CoreOS work involves leveraging RPMs to produce atomic systems, as OSTrees are composed from a set of RPMs using RPM-OSTree. That said, only Fedora Atomic Host/Fedora CoreOS, Fedora Silverblue and Fedora IoT Edition are playing with that stuff. All of those are very small parts of the greater Fedora community.

Comment

Plus: a pre-compiled Linux inside Linux kinda system (called Flatpack runtime). Which we want to avoid having on our or our customers systems.

Man I can sense RedHat's fear about your company's decision.

Please reconsider, don't make them cry.

Comment

Working...
                    X