Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.1.78 Released With Various Issues Resolved

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.1.78 Released With Various Issues Resolved

Vulkan 1.1.78 is now available as the newest version of the Vulkan specification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, I understand that correctly: Vulkan 1.0 was released with so many issues, it required 78 specification updates already to iron it out? :-/

Comment

It's mostly clarifications. It's a bit like saying the constitution is so badly written it required all these amendments

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        So, I understand that correctly: Vulkan 1.0 was released with so many issues, it required 78 specification updates already to iron it out? :-/
        From a glance at the diff, it looks like the majority of the changes for this version were whitespace and changing cross-markup links. I don't these these sorts of thing are very big concerns for implementors, though the large revision/patch number does look high when you don't take a look at how trivial a set of things they are willing to bump the number for.

Comment

I hope one day soon they can introduce 'stream output' function. Plenty of games are using this and it would make the transition easier for them to have it.

Comment

It wasn't a clusterfuck, but yes, it needed quite a lot of updates. OTOH nobody was using Vulkan at the time so it didn't matter much. And they had to really hurry up making the 1.0 release asap.

Comment

There are always going to be things that can be improved in the documentation, so you can probably say the same thing in a year with over 100 spec updates.

Many of those spec updates also added new extensions to Vulkan, so there's that.

Comment

Release early, release often?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Release early, release often?
                  yeah, well you got me there, big fan of release early, release often, ... but with international standards? hm, ... sometimes slow is faster, imagine they would have done that with PDF, we would have millions if not billions of broken, non-standard compliant files out there, ..! Oh, wait, … never mind ;-)

Comment

yeah, well you got me there, big fan of release early, release often, ... but with international standards? hm, ... sometimes slow is faster, imagine they would have done that with PDF, we would have millions if not billions of broken, non-standard compliant files out there, ..! Oh, wait, … never mind ;-)
                    There were certainly a few issues to iron out, but most of these updates are merely adding new extensions, updating documentation, fixes to run on new compilers/platforms, etc. Not exactly a big deal.

The entire extension system guaranteed from the start there would be tons of updates, the only question was how fast they would be released and I think most people are happier with the frequent small updates rather than infrequent large ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X