More Vega M Performance Numbers Surfacing, Linux State Looking Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Vega M Performance Numbers Surfacing, Linux State Looking Good

Phoronix: More Vega M Performance Numbers Surfacing, Linux State Looking Good

The performance of the Intel Core i7-8809G "Kabylake G" processor with onboard Radeon "Vega M" graphics are looking quite good under Linux now that the support has been squared away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why did he choose the most useless benchmark?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Now if only I could get a good laptop for the next 5+ years with such a processor.

Comment

I have to wonder what AMD has in the pipeline to compete. Obviously they knew this was coming.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          I have to wonder what AMD has in the pipeline to compete. Obviously they knew this was coming.
          thay have fenghuang raven

Comment

The only benchmark result I would be interested in for this CPU/GPU combination would be the mean time between driver crashes that can be reached under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina

That's a Hades Canyon NUC which can draw 100+W, I don't think you can justify anything close to it in laptop form factor.
              This is meant to be fairly expensive home media center box solution.
              I don't think that's the case.
              GTX 1070 for laptops has over 100W TDP on its' own, legacy CPUs add +45W to that. Now if you take a look at just how thin and light the new 1070 Max-Q laptops are (CPU +GPU TDP should be approx. 140-150W) I think we could easily see this inside a laptop. There was a "conspiracy" that nvidia GPP was initially started to counter AMD's push for laptop markets. Maybe that's the reason behind limited Kaby Lake G laptop supply.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                I have to wonder what AMD has in the pipeline to compete
                Intel is using previous gen AMD graphics on their CPU.

What AMD have to do is release an APU with the same TDP using a Vega/Navi GPU inside

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

I don't think that's the case.
                  GTX 1070 for laptops has over 100W TDP on its' own, legacy CPUs add +45W to that. Now if you take a look at just how thin and light the new 1070 Max-Q laptops are (CPU +GPU TDP should be approx. 140-150W) I think we could easily see this inside a laptop. There was a "conspiracy" that nvidia GPP was initially started to counter AMD's push for laptop markets. Maybe that's the reason behind limited Kaby Lake G laptop supply.
                  +1

That's exactly Intel's idea, bringing up an APU that would match the intel+nvidia perf using less energy

Comment

I hope that whatever APU is used in the PS5 will find its way to individual mobos too. PS4 has nice graphics performance and now runs Linux, but the low single-thread performance is sufficient only for a gaming console, not PC gaming nor general PC tasks. With Zen in the PS5 APU that should be all fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X