Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.0 Might Be Coming After Qt 5.14, Could Depend Upon C++17

Phoronix: Qt 6.0 Might Be Coming After Qt 5.14, Could Depend Upon C++17

Since last year there has been more talk and early planning around the eventual Qt 6.0 milestone. It's looking now like Qt 6.0 might happen after Qt 5.14, or likely in 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What does this mean to KDE? Will we see the Plasma 6.0 series soon? And will they have to start over with features again?

Comment

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
      What does this mean to KDE? Will we see the Plasma 6.0 series soon? And will they have to start over with features again?
      At least the KDE frameworks should get bumped to 6, but since there are only talk of Qt6 it's not like it's coming tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
        It sounds like it will be mostly source compatible. But a version bump is needed because it breaks binary compatibility. Source compatible means a program written to be compiled on X can also be compiled on Y. Binary compatible means a program already compiled on X can also be run on Y without recompiling.

What this means for KDE is probably not much. Nothing will have to be written from scratch. Depending on how it is handled and what the KDE policies are we may end up with some or all frameworks needing a bump in their corresponding version number. But as far as user-facing applications go this should be pretty much undetectable as long as you are not having to compile things yourself.

Comment

Talking about Vulkan backend, did KWin's Vulkan based compositing effort stall, or it's still being developed?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Talking about Vulkan backend, did KWin's Vulkan based compositing effort stall, or it's still being developed?
            Nothing since February: https://cgit.kde.org/kwin.git/log/?h=fredrik/vulkan
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Apparently we will need three versions of Qt simultaneously. I still have apps that depend on Qt 4.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Apparently we will need three versions of Qt simultaneously. I still have apps that depend on Qt 4.
                Agreed.
                Maybe finishing the port of everything to, at least Qt5 should take priority...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Out of curiosity, which applications are those? I don't think I'm currently using any Qt 4 applications, although that was the case for me back in 2015-2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    That's not very promising.

Comment

Working...
                    X