Core i7 8700K vs. Ryzen 7 2700X For Vulkan Gaming With Thrones of Britannia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core i7 8700K vs. Ryzen 7 2700X For Vulkan Gaming With Thrones of Britannia

Phoronix: Core i7 8700K vs. Ryzen 7 2700X For Vulkan Gaming With Thrones of Britannia

Published this weekend was a 25-way Linux graphics card comparison for the newest major Linux game release, A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, that was released natively for Linux days ago by Feral Interactive and ported from Direct3D to Vulkan in the process. As a result of premium requests, here are some additional tests for this Linux game when comparing the performance on Intel Core i7 8700K and Ryzen 7 2700X processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    1440p wth extreme quality settings had similar average frame-rates

Comment

Michael
      Have you rounded the performance per dollar to e.g. 0.04 FPS vs 0.03 FPS? I'm not sure whether that would be useful...

Regarding the performance of Ryzen it is still questionable why it is lagging behind with Vulkan. That should only be the case with OpenGL.
      Last edited by oooverclocker; 11 June 2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        MichaelRegarding the performance of Ryzen it is still questionable why it is lagging behind with Vulkan. That should only be the case with OpenGL.
        I don't find it all that surprising. I doubt this game uses more than 4 threads, and the i7 is clocked much higher. I'd say the Ryzen performed better than expected, considering that.

Comment

Its better to not play your games at "extreme" because usually this means "gameworks++", so if you want your pc to survive some more years then play at not even "ultra".

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I doubt this game uses more than 4 threads
            Perhaps the original game which was ported caused such behavior, but it shouldn't be too difficult in general to get a better distribution over threads, at least with native Vulkan software.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I don't find it all that surprising. I doubt this game uses more than 4 threads, and the i7 is clocked much higher. I'd say the Ryzen performed better than expected, considering that.
              Looks like MCe is still enabled so the 8700 is getting OC'd . But like you said there's a 1 ghz difference so in real terms the ryzen aint doing bad tbh.

Vulkan ain't living up to the "uses more cores better" either. I guess that's down to the devs though.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Looks like MCe is still enabled so the 8700 is getting OC'd . But like you said there's a 1 ghz difference so in real terms the ryzen aint doing bad tbh.

Vulkan ain't living up to the "uses more cores better" either. I guess that's down to the devs though.
                Vulkan can't do jack about that if the game is running it's physics simulation on 1 thread and that ends up being the bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Vulkan can't do jack about that if the game is running it's physics simulation on 1 thread and that ends up being the bottleneck.
                  True but that would come under the "I guess that's down to the devs though" part of my post.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                    Michael
                    Have you rounded the performance per dollar to e.g. 0.04 FPS vs 0.03 FPS? I'm not sure whether that would be useful...

Regarding the performance of Ryzen it is still questionable why it is lagging behind with Vulkan. That should only be the case with OpenGL.
                    If you take into consideration that:

1.) Ryzen have a huge clock difference against Intel
                    2.) You are using a fully 100& OSS driver(RADV) that is still under development with several optimizations still pending in patchworks to hit.

The Vega + Ryzen combo are doing one hell of a damn good job staying at within 10% range from Intel here and honestly even RADV on Intel is showing some damn good performance already.

Also kudos to feral team

Comment

Working...
                    X