Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's A Discussion Again About Flipping On Intel "Fastboot" DRM Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's A Discussion Again About Flipping On Intel "Fastboot" DRM Driver Support

Phoronix: There's A Discussion Again About Flipping On Intel "Fastboot" DRM Driver Support

For over six years now has been the Intel DRM driver's "Fastboot" support for eliminating unnecessary mode-set operations during the boot process, with an original focus on improving the laptop/ultrabook boot experience. While there have been attempts at getting Fastboot enabled by default, it hasn't happened to date but now a Red Hat developer is hoping to get it turned on for at least some generations of Intel hardware to benefit the work going into improving the Fedora boot experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see some progress being made in this area but at least for my T530 i915.fastboot is still unusable. For some reason, enabling it will disable the automatic adjustment of dual monitor setups leading the the screen just being cloned by default instead of remembering the past configuration after a reboot. No clue why this happens.

Comment

What do they mean with "modern hardware"? Broadwell+?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Enabling fastboot on my Hashwell laptop (Asus N7511J) breaks the usage of the Brightness keys, for which I have created a bug report about a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          What do they mean with "modern hardware"? Broadwell+?
          From the mailing list, it appears to be Skylake+.

Comment

Working...
          X