Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Btrfs Can Now Remove Directories Much Faster In Send Mode: From 33 Hours To 2 Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Can Now Remove Directories Much Faster In Send Mode: From 33 Hours To 2 Minutes

Phoronix: Btrfs Can Now Remove Directories Much Faster In Send Mode: From 33 Hours To 2 Minutes

For those making use of Btrfs' incremental send/receive functionality for efficient backups or other reasons for moving data between Btrfs volumes, the directory deletion performance for Btrfs send is now much faster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"the directory deletion performance for Btrfs send is now much faster"

Oops rm typo, quick press Ctrl+C!! Demo, omae wa mou shindeiru.

Comment

I hope it affects normal uses as well, for some reason Window$ deletes files a lot faster, almost instantly even if there's 2000 files, while on Linux after 10 years of usage I noticed the deletion is consistently a lot slower.
      I have no idea why.

Comment

Does using this require re-creating the filesystem, or existing filesystems will benefit from it too with newer kernel?

Comment

Well, RH deprecated it, so oh well, rip.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            I hope it affects normal uses as well, for some reason Window$ deletes files a lot faster, almost instantly even if there's 2000 files, while on Linux after 10 years of usage I noticed the deletion is consistently a lot slower.
            I have no idea why.
            What I noticed is that deletion speed depends from the program you use to delete files (also on Windows).

For some reasons deleting files with filemanagers is relatively slow, if I delete stuff with a good old rm -r /path/to/folder it's pretty damn fast and much faster than on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Does using this require re-creating the filesystem, or existing filesystems will benefit from it too with newer kernel?
              The latter. This is a rework of an existing feature, not a new feature. The filesystem on disk remains unchanged, it's how the same stuff is read that is changed.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Well, RH deprecated it, so oh well, rip.
                Yeah, btrfs is totally dying after RH deprecated it.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  I have no idea why.
                  Ok, so what was this compared against?
                  Windows: NTFS (what version?) or FAT16/32/ExFat etc...
                  Linux: What filesystem?! There are lots to choose from

Are you sure you actually deleted the files? On Windows you often MOVE to trashcan which should be quite quick.

Was the test done on filesystems that had the same workload? things suchs as fragmentation matters. Filesize matters as well.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Yeah, btrfs is totally dying after RH deprecated it.
                    Yeah. RH deprecated the prospect of one day using a tech it never used to begin with. That totally shakes the world. However, lest we forget, RH also deprecated Ext4 in favour of XFS, but unlike Btrfs, it actually used Ext4. I guess if Btrfs is dead because of RH's deprecation, wouldn't that make Ext4 even more dead then?

Comment

Working...
                    X