Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Has Reportedly Reached A Deal To Acquire GitHub

Phoronix: Microsoft Has Reportedly Reached A Deal To Acquire GitHub

On Friday a news report suggested Microsoft and GitHub were furthering along talks to acquire the popular code hosting site and now a deal has reportedly been reached...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a little unsettling when MS makes Linux kernel contributions, but the fact of the matter is they can't really kill Linux like they do with so many other things. However, acquiring GitHub is a bit scary. I don't really see how they would benefit from owning this, but I could see how they might find a way to screw over the devs who post their content there.

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
      Why? Just why? I love GitHub how it is now. I just can't imagine GitHub as a M$ product.

Comment

Having Microsoft in charge of Github is like having Jimmy Savile in charge of Save The Children.

Comment

I use github a lot, and so a lot of friends.

Github being an independant and friendly company was part of what attracted me in the first place. I would have used other options if it was owned by some big company (and Microsoft who completly changes his mind every director change is one of the worst I can think for owning some place where you hosts projects a long time).

What is Microsoft going to do with that ? They'll want to make money, and for sure it's going to be by integrating Microsoft tools, and selling things somehow to devs, making it less convenient to use free tools. Or maybe do some data mining on the database (and sell it somehow).

Comment

I doubt that MS is going to do anything overtly negative with Github. Their M.O. is to funnel $$$ to patent trolls - you know, innovation through litigation. I wish one day they would prove me wrong - but I won't hold my breath. That said, the one word solution if you don't like Github being owned by MS is Bitbucket. I personally prefer Bitbucket to Github anyway.

Comment

Maybe they will opensource it like they did with xamarin, and release premium features for free

Comment

Wow, this is really something. I have some seriously mixed feelings about this. On one hand this is a clear move from Microsoft to get more control over Opensource in general. I don't believe for a second this is a positive thing for Github itself. However it may finally push everyone to more free solutions like Gitlab, which is even better.

If this is really true I will move all my stuff ASAP.

Comment

I definitely see why Microsoft would want to own GitHub. They probably wouldn't mind moving all those users to Azure, for instance.

Comment

Nooooooo!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X