Intel Has Another Developer Working Now Working On FreeBSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Has Another Developer Working Now Working On FreeBSD Support

Phoronix: Intel Has Another Developer Working Now Working On FreeBSD Support

Ben Widawsky, one of the Linux graphics architects at Intel where he has been working on the Mesa driver stack for the past eight years, is now re-tasking to FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its infantile code of conduct. SJWs ruin everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      Its license.
      What's so bad about it, in a way that actually affects you?

Comment

I'm not a native speaker but that title would be much more clear like that:

Intel Has Another Developer Working On FreeBSD Support Now

Original title kinda feels wrong imo

Comment

It allows leech behavior, i.e. corporations that use FreeBSD and never contribute anything back.

As a result, FreeBSD and all the other BSDs suffer from lack of contributions and slower development.
          Plenty of corporations and businesses use Linux for free and never contribute anything back either. Now, if you're talking about them taking the source code, modifying it internally and not pushing those changes backup then you may have an argument. However, Netflix, Juniper, and NetApp are major sponsors and often do push code back into the main tree. If you look at the commit history and "Sponsored by" tags. Do they have proprietary bits they hang on to? For sure. Would those proprietary bits make any difference to you or I in our every day use of FreeBSD? Probably not. I think the only real major players who don't / haven't pushed back into the main tree are Sony and Nintendo. Intel certainly provides plenty of drivers updates and changes to make sure their hardware works.

One could easily argue that if FreeBSD didn't exist those same corps would certainly not have used Linux due to the GPL license and its aggressive Borg like license.

Not that Intel cares, but thanks anyway Intel.
          Last edited by rhavenn; 01 June 2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

It allows leech behavior, i.e. corporations that use FreeBSD and never contribute anything back.

As a result, FreeBSD and all the other BSDs suffer from lack of contributions and slower development.
            There are quite a few companies doing the same thing to Linux, they don't care what software license is used because they will just throw money at lawyers to make it go away. I'm not saying it's right or just, in fact it pisses me off when companies get away with stuff they'd try to put their users in jail for.

However, the BSD licenses exist for a reason. They fill a void that allows a company to legally reuse code and maintain their trade secrets, and as rhavenn pointed out, most companies that use BSD code willingly give back to the community. If the *BSD maintainers felt they were suffering or there was a better license for their work, they would use it or create it. They are happy, and as an end user you don't have to use their software so why complain? You have freedom of choice, just as they do.

Comment

How about a qxl driver? At this point, FreeBSD is broken beyond repair. And it's 100% their own fault for bending over for the 1% of eternal complainers that care more about imposing their mental problems on everyone rather than writing code.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Plenty of corporations and businesses use Linux for free and never contribute anything back either. Now, if you're talking about them taking the source code, modifying it internally and not pushing those changes backup then you may have an argument. However, Netflix, Juniper, and NetApp are major sponsors and often do push code back into the main tree. If you look at the commit history and "Sponsored by" tags. Do they have proprietary bits they hang on to? For sure. Would those proprietary bits make any difference to you or I in our every day use of FreeBSD? Probably not. I think the only real major players who don't / haven't pushed back into the main tree are Sony and Nintendo. Intel certainly provides plenty of drivers updates and changes to make sure their hardware works.

One could easily argue that if FreeBSD didn't exist those same corps would certainly not have used Linux due to the GPL license and its aggressive Borg like license.

Not that Intel cares, but thanks anyway Intel.
                It does make a difference contributing to a system that facilitates unsocial behaviour. You get monopolization, and are left with not even the funds or code to keep the lights on, or even compete. Room for improvement here is directly tied to the license in making that easier.

Gratitude is great, being at the mercy of it is not. Thank you Intel for contributing more to the Linux kernel.

Comment

Wasn't LLVM license similar?

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
                    Its infantile code of conduct. SJWs ruin everything.
                    Awwwww. Show me where the code of conduct hurt you, sad little boy. You weren't allowed to push your alt-right maga bullshit, I assume? Oh, sorry ... you don't contribute to shit either way, do you? You just defend the right of other hypothetical alt-right tools - who allegedly have the talent to contribute to something - to abuse others contributing.

Comment

Working...
                    X