PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 Released With JIT Compilation, More Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 Released With JIT Compilation, More Performance Tuning

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 11 Beta 1 Released With JIT Compilation, More Performance Tuning

The first beta of PostgreSQL 11.0 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do they still not have a bug tracker, only mailing lists?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      Do they still not have a bug tracker, only mailing lists?
      I'm sure when a group takes an issue, it is managed internally by a tracker of some sort, since most teams use them now and there are a lot of companies that contribute to Postgres. The reason for the mailing list as the "front door" is that Unix applications traditionally showed an email to report problems. This was long before web interfaces were common, and email was accessible. Now, a project like Postgres might still make the choice to keep the entry point as an email in order to encourage people to report bugs when some people might run into a bug but not feel like opening an account in an issue tracking system. That said, it wouldn't be my preference, but there are reasons to keep it going if you are an old project that started with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post

I'm sure when a group takes an issue, it is managed internally by a tracker of some sort, since most teams use them now and there are a lot of companies that contribute to Postgres. The reason for the mailing list as the "front door" is that Unix applications traditionally showed an email to report problems. This was long before web interfaces were common, and email was accessible. Now, a project like Postgres might still make the choice to keep the entry point as an email in order to encourage people to report bugs when some people might run into a bug but not feel like opening an account in an issue tracking system. That said, it wouldn't be my preference, but there are reasons to keep it going if you are an old project that started with it.
        Yes, I know how things were operated 30 years ago, but that won't justify the current operations of such a mainstream and crucial project.

And FYI you do need to create an account to actually submit bugs, so your argument is invalid anyway.

Comment

SQL/JSON is on the roadmap for PostgreSQL 11.

MySQL have been pretty shitty even though it was popular but it seems Oracle really have shaped up the development and now with MySQL 8 it seems to have hugely improved.
          It seems PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, IBM DB2, MS SQL Server are all really good databases nowadays.

Microsoft SQL Server have support for data masking, I don't know if any other database have support for that.
          Is the document DB / NoSQL hype over? Is the future now relational databases with JSON support?

I feel the SQL language is pretty shitty though. It feels very verbose, unpredictable and legacy. It is too bad BS12 or Tutorial D never got foothold.
          Luckily I don't have to deal with SQL much, since I mostly use a ORM these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post

Why not just implement OpenID? That way, people could log in with Google, Facebook or GitHub to submit bugs.

Comment

Working...
            X