LXQt 0.13 Released With More Improvements For This Lightweight Qt Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LXQt 0.13 Released With More Improvements For This Lightweight Qt Desktop

Phoronix: LXQt 0.13 Released With More Improvements For This Lightweight Qt Desktop

The developers working on the combined Razor-qt and LXDE desktop effort, LXQt, have rolled out their newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LXQtCompilerSettings? what's that?

Comment

It's a CMAKE file.

The state of LXQt is depressing. As a user I see that for quite some time, only small progress has been made. It seems LXQt did not manage to gather enough interest, at least on a developer side.

Maybe LXQt has the problem of being sandwiched between the big DE users and the minimalist tiling WM geeks. Maybe there is not enough room for a modern, slim but complete desktop environment? Or is everybody still happy with the old XFCE?

I personally use LXQt in combination with herbstluftwm, so I get both, a tiling window manager that perfectly fits my needs and a desktop environment that relieves me from setting up all the other functionality you would expect from a DE.

I hope the LXQt project finds new health, because right now it is in the state where it is starting to smell and it will rot soon (i.e., things break, minor annoyances do not get fixed, … eventually you give up on it).

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        LXQtCompilerSettings? what's that?
        It sets the compiler settings when building LXQt; each section's comment header gives a good overview:
        github.com/lxqt/lxqt-build-tools/blob/master/cmake/modules/LXQtCompilerSettings.cmake

Comment

Rather than presenting all these technical blah blah, how about explaining the benefits for the end users ? So what's actually new here that benefits the end users and why would I want to install it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            Rather than presenting all these technical blah blah, how about explaining the benefits for the end users ?
            I presume you are you referring to the release notes from the blog link in the main article? Ironically, they were striving to make the Release Notes less technical [github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/1490#issuecomment-390414510], but half the "Highlights" are more so than much of the "Notable changes" details, e.g. "libfm-qt is made more self-sufficient and less dependent on libfm, resulting in better performance and more flexibility" :-) That and things like "Important functionalities, like file operations, are ported to C++, which means more flexibility and less libfm dependency" should be put in a separate "Developers" section or something.

Comment

I’m glad to see another update of LXQt, but unfortunately there is no maintainer for it in Gentoo anymore. I’m stuck with 0.11 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                I’m glad to see another update of LXQt, but unfortunately there is no maintainer for it in Gentoo anymore. I’m stuck with 0.11 for now.
                Fedora is also stuck with 0.11 for quite some Fedora releases now. They missed 0.12 and possible 0.13 may be missed too.

Comment

It's great to see that LXQt is finally back on the land of the living!!! Its a good update for a great project!!!

And it's already in openSUSE as experimental

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
                    The state of LXQt is depressing. As a user I see that for quite some time, only small progress has been made. It seems LXQt did not manage to gather enough interest, at least on a developer side. Maybe LXQt has the problem of being sandwiched between the big DE users and the minimalist tiling WM geeks. Maybe there is not enough room for a modern, slim but complete desktop environment? Or is everybody still happy with the old XFCE?
                    You're totally right. LXQt has not yet proven to be a better option than Xfce besides providing now support to HiDPI displays. The project has just a few programmers, and the most active ones are very arrogant and not open to most of the users' suggestions. I spent hours there arguing with them because of bugs that they don't thing apply. Not to mention questionable new features and a code that is anything but clean (which difficult other developers to contribute).

This is all sad, because not only Qt is a wonderful framework to work with, but LXQt has the opportunity to be a modern lightweight DE. But, well, considering that Lubuntu now is officially using LXQt, maybe there is some hope
                    Last edited by fulalas; 23 May 2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X