Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. AMDVLK Vulkan Linux Driver Performance

Phoronix: RADV vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. AMDVLK Vulkan Linux Driver Performance

While last week I published some initial Radeon Software 18.10 vs. Mesa benchmarks there was interest by some premium supporters in seeing a three-way comparison of Mesa RADV versus AMDGPU-PRO / Radeon Software 18.10 PRO components vs. the official open-source AMDVLK driver. Here are those results using both Polaris and Vega graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting bench as always. I'm surprised in a good way by AMDGPU-PRO improvments on vulkan titles. Still MESA is doing great by running every game without constraint, but it's nice to see some improvement by the graphic card designers.

Michael will it be possible for you occasionnaly (if not too much work) at the end of some of those comparison articles to add a small graphical recap of overall compared performance?

Otherwise thanks once again for your bench, they are very usefull as things are moving rather quickly these last 2 years especially for the open source driver.

Comment

Because i have lost episodes, Vulkan-Pro needs the entire pro driver? Or it's just needs Vulkan and AMD-IL from Pro? I currently use RADV.

Comment

That gives a lead of almost 20% to the closed source solution on Talos :-(

Comment

Wow, proprietary driver rocks.

Shame it couldn't be open sourced in it's full performance form.

Last edited by humbug; 08 May 2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            Wow, proprietary driver rocks.

Shame it couldn't be open sourced in it's full performance form.
            I am sure that there are some nice tricks that they can teach LLVM for the shader compiler - this just shows that there is some optimisation that can happen!

Comment

Does RADV and AMDVLK use the same part of LLVM for shader compiling?

Comment

All else being equal, I prefer the higher minimum and 0.1st percentile framerates over higher averages. Seems like the only test here where Mesa is leading those right now is Dawn of War, where the lead is considerable, mind you.
                Last edited by microcode; 08 May 2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                  That gives a lead of almost 20% to the closed source solution on Talos :-(
                  As a dev, shouldn't you be excited of the room that this gives you to improve?

Thanks Michael for adding the FOSS amdvlk to the benchmark, it's very interesting!

Comment

Michael You know that the 18.20 includes AMDVLK packaged right? I think it should be the vulkan package without the pro suffix. I'm sure the git is close enough though.

Comment

Working...
                    X