Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 Being Prepared With zSTD-Enabled Linux 4.16, Clang Pre-7.0, GCC 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 Being Prepared With zSTD-Enabled Linux 4.16, Clang Pre-7.0, GCC 8

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 Being Prepared With zSTD-Enabled Linux 4.16, Clang Pre-7.0, GCC 8

Yesterday was about Mageia and coincidentally today is an update on the preparations going into another Mandriva-derived Linux distribution, OpenMandriva Lx...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see some news about the most underrated distribution there is!

Comment

I'm glad that OpenMandriva is growing. I'm curious how works this new kernel with support for ZSTD. Does it give any important changes?

Comment

It's good to see that they are continuing the traditions of Mandriva. I see mixing innovation and stability. There is LLVM / Clang as the default compiler, but also the calamares installer as well as now support for zstd kernels.
        I am looking forward to the new edition of OpenMandriva LX4. Any supposed release dates or even alpha/beta release?

Comment

OpenMandriva was using Clang as the system compiler and bragging about it even though the performance of the BSDs dropped like a brick after the switch.

It seems that there are areas where binaries compiled with Clang still fail quite badly and only a few cases where it eeeks out a win over GCC, but by an insignificant margin.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The main reason the BSDs use it is their hatred of all things GPL, GNU, and Linux. This proves that the BSD community is not a meritocracy. It makes technical decisions based on what companies like Apple want, not what actually works best.

It doesn't explain why OpenMandriva made these bizarre decisions. The decision to use "RPM 5" was another screwball decision. "RPM 5" was a fork of the real RPM that hardly anything ever used.

I think that the message is clear. Mageia is the sane fork of Mandriva.

Comment

zSTD initrd here, too: #t2sde even recently tested on Sun UltraSPARC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsKct4T2xk

Comment

For Mandriva prefixing it with Open just sounds terrible. All these distros with Open as the prefix sound silly.

I still prefer the old naming Mandrake but those days are long gone, Man Driva... where did they drive to? Silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                I still prefer the old naming Mandrake but those days are long gone, Man Driva... where did they drive to? Silly.
                It's the result of a merger between MANDRake and ConnectIVA. They were also being sued for trademark infringement with the name "Mandrake" so it was the obvious solution.

Comment

Originally posted by berolinux View Post
                  Nice to see some news about the most underrated distribution there is!
                  I thought that title belonged to distros like Slackware, NixOS, Void Linux, Genode, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                  X