Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Fedora 28 vs. Clear Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS vs. Fedora 28 vs. Clear Linux Benchmarks

Given last week's release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and then Fedora 28 having debuted earlier this week, I decided to see how these popular tier-one Linux distributions now compare to Intel's own Clear Linux platform. This three-way Linux distribution comparison was carried out on six systems comprising both of Intel and AMD CPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm guessing that Ubuntu had an edge on games and other graphics benchmarks because you didn't test Fedora with GNOME on Xorg.

From what I've seen, that lead would disappear completely had you tested them both out using Xorg. It's well known that XWayland doesn't perform as well as Xorg.

Inevitably, people will point to this as evidence that Ubuntu is performing better.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronHK View Post
      ...Ubuntu is performing better.
      Nah, I'm actually gonna use this misquote as evidence that Ubuntu is performing better. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by BaronHK View Post
        I'm guessing that Ubuntu had an edge on games and other graphics benchmarks because you didn't test Fedora with GNOME on Xorg.

From what I've seen, that lead would disappear completely had you tested them both out using Xorg. It's well known that XWayland doesn't perform as well as Xorg.

Inevitably, people will point to this as evidence that Ubuntu is performing better.
        Here Ubuntu performs much better on compile bench, pybench and similar things, which have nothing to do with Xorg/Xwayland. It's not a surprise either, Ubuntu has always been one of the best performing distros. Let's just pay a little credit where it's due.

Comment

Ubuntu 18.04 is kernel-4.15. Fedora 28 is kernel-4.16. I wonder how kuch is config/patches/software and how much different kernel versions.

Comment

I Benchmarks non sono una scienza esatta, per cui prendeteli per quello che sono.

Comment

Originally posted by edgan View Post
              Ubuntu 18.04 is kernel-4.15. Fedora 28 is kernel-4.16. I wonder how kuch is config/patches/software and how much different kernel versions.
              I'm curious also, but it's up to each distro to decide how to bundle the linux kernel, Gnome shell, Mesa drivers, GCC, and filesystem/scheduler for their release so I think it's fair to judge them as is.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I'm curious also, but it's up to each distro to decide how to bundle the linux kernel, Gnome shell, Mesa drivers, GCC, and filesystem/scheduler for their release so I think it's fair to judge them as is.
                Exactly. The whole point of a benchmark such as this is to answer the question "what will I get if I install distro X", so that includes all kernel, compiler, driver and other differences. BTW I would expect kernel 4.16 to perform better than 4.15 because its Spectre and Meltdown mitigation is more mature and better tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Ubuntu has always been one of the best distros for including a lot of broken garbage and calling it "features".
                  Fixed that for you.

Also, throw in their lousy power management (I can barely get 7 hours out of a laptop that runs for 10 on Fedora).

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

There's a bunch of reasons why things could have ended up the way they did. For example, Fedora just enabled a lot of GCC hardening flags that Ubuntu doesn't use and compiled the whole system with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X