Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Adds Support For The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

Phoronix: Steam Adds Support For The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

If you happen to have a Switch Pro controller for Nintendo's Switch gaming system, it's now natively supported by Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is very nice! (I have two) And unexpected (by me).

Comment

How does it works, though? Is it an USB controller? A kernel driver? A bluetooth controllet? Is the driver entirely self-contained in Steam?

$60 seems quite expensive for a controller that seems pretty basic at first glance. Is there anything special about it? (except that it works with the switch)

Comment

Any news on that kernel driver for the Steam Controller? Has it been merged yet?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          How does it works, though? Is it an USB controller? A kernel driver? A bluetooth controllet? Is the driver entirely self-contained in Steam?

$60 seems quite expensive for a controller that seems pretty basic at first glance. Is there anything special about it? (except that it works with the switch)
          Most likely a user-space driver written within Steam similar to how Valve does the Steam Controller support.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Not sure if Steam takes advantage but it does have very precise motion tracking (much more precise than DS4 or Xbox, similar to the steam controller) and also more precise vibration motors. These things justify the price for use with a Switch, but if Steam or more importantly the games themselves don't make use of them then it's probably not worth it unless you already have one for your Switch.

Comment

Well, it has a d-pad that doesn't suck. Nintendo holds the patent to their d-pad design, if I'm not mistaken, resulting in all non-nintendo gamepads having (IMO) horrible PoS d-pads. However, if that patent has expired by now, then I have no idea why non-nintendo gamepads still have horrible PoS d-pads.

Comment

Any by PC I mean Linux of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post

Not sure if Steam takes advantage but it does have very precise motion tracking (much more precise than DS4 or Xbox, similar to the steam controller) and also more precise vibration motors. These things justify the price for use with a Switch, but if Steam or more importantly the games themselves don't make use of them then it's probably not worth it unless you already have one for your Switch.
                  I don't know about the others, but the DS4 is accurate enough for a pointer (you can use it for the on-screen keyboard). How precise are the Steam and Switch controllers?

Comment

Well good news.

Comment

Working...
                    X