Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebP 1.0 Image Format Released

Phoronix: WebP 1.0 Image Format Released

Google's WebP image format officially reached version 1.0 to seemingly no fanfare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I so wish Firefox would support WebP. It's currently the best image format out there.

Comment

FLIF is also fun to try out, especially for lossless compression. Really quick, too.

Comment

Apple got HEIC out first and now Microsoft is adopting it too. WebP just took too long and as usual with google projects, was not properly promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
          I so wish Firefox would support WebP. It's currently the best image format out there.
          yeah but very soon there will be one even better av1 avif: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1#AV...e_Format_(AVIF)

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            yeah but very soon there will be one even better av1 avif: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1#AV..._Format_(AVIF)
            Yeah, makes me wonder of what the point of WebP even is.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Apple got HEIC out first and now Microsoft is adopting it too. WebP just took too long and as usual with google projects, was not properly promoted.
              WebP has been around much longer than HEIC/HEIF. Also given that HEIC using HEVC is royalty burdened, it's a format with zero future on the web, and thus not any future on the desktop either, unless of course all the patent holders would decide to make it free for images (unlikely).

WebP won't become a new de facto standard either due to not having a big improvement on jpeg for lossy encoding, the only one with a chance at this point would be the AV1 based image format which is both royalty free and likely a big improvement on jpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                I agree that it's the best overall image format for lossless compression, but not for lossy.

Comment

IMHO, In terms of lossy compression, I don't think the gains are good enough for the industry to adopt it (even if browsers do).
                  In terms of lossless I think it's the same.

The only good thing I think webp could bring of improvements was decent true color animated images, but all major browsers (except for Edge, as usually) support APNG that brings exactly that.

So, no point in adopting it...

Comment

webp is dead and will remain so as long as Firefox, MS Edge and Mactoddler browsers lack support. I'm not going to put anything on a webpage that doesn't render just fine in all the browsers and this includes older ones. I run a few websites and the logs indicate that there's a lot of people running pretty ancient versions. It's pretty bad on the mobile side too, btw.

Comment

Working...
                    X