It Looks Like Raven Ridge Desktop APUs Will Work Better With Linux 4.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Looks Like Raven Ridge Desktop APUs Will Work Better With Linux 4.17

Phoronix: It Looks Like Raven Ridge Desktop APUs Will Work Better With Linux 4.17

Sadly right now with the highly-anticipated Vega+Zen Raven Ridge desktop APUs is in fairly rough shape with some hangs, display corruption, etc. Fortunately it looks like Linux 4.17 support will be in better shape...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good to hear my 2400g still needs more polishing, both on linux and on windows

Comment

so far no hangs nor display corruption with an Lenovo ideapad 720s w/ AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utviLZ5c9SE

Comment

4.17 might be a great update in general for AMD users, with 4.16 drm-next on Polaris my DL-DVI display finally displays something with DC and DPM seems to got tuned and now works reliably in mpv. *keeping fingers crossed this will also be the case with the real 4.17*

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          so far no hangs nor display corruption with an Lenovo ideapad 720s w/ AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utviLZ5c9SE
          These are differently configured than Desktop APUs, on mobile they usually set VRAM as 256MB while for Desktop default is 1 GB... is that changable in BIOS for you on mobile?
          Last edited by dungeon; 07 March 2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I will test this then again. Last time all kernels failed badly (4.15..4.17), on Arch Linux they just crashed during mode setting. At least without SDDM they booted to the command line.

Comment

also for mobile Ryzen temperature sensor you want to add the device id to k10temp, patch already send upstream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfyMLMN4is

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

These are differently configured than Desktop APUs, on mobile they usually set VRAM as 256MB while for Desktop default is 1 GB... is that changable in BIOS for you on mobile?
                nope, nothing much adjustable in the BIOS :-/

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  4.17 might be a great update in general for AMD users, with 4.16 drm-next on Polaris my DL-DVI display finally displays something with DC and DPM seems to got tuned and now works reliably in mpv. *keeping fingers crossed this will also be the case with the real 4.17*
                  Still a bit of a mess for Polaris (RX 560) indeed.
                  My system is set up so that audio and video (pass-through) are sent via HDMI as input to AV Receiver and video is then passed through to output via HDMI to a screen.

I'm on 4.16-rc4:
                  - resume from suspend still hangs once in a while with mandatory reboot (no tty to kill X or anything). Used to be the case with 4.14 with DC or early 4.15 release candidates and it's not completely solved (happened this morning again)
                  - Anytime I switch from PC input channel on the AV receiver to another (yesterday to watch the Champions League for example) and come back, I'm either logged out of my session and back to GDM or it just hangs (corollary of the above I would bet).
                  - Surround Sound is crackling and stuttering in Steam, Netflix or Spotify (not in SMPlayer though) after most resume from suspend. Restarting pulseaudio or cleaning config folder doesn't make do. Only reboot does.

Also, maybe due to it but with doubts:
                  - Screen detected by gnome is a 7" (instead of a 32", I suspect this is the AV receiver LCD display). Might be gnome related as I didn't have that with Unity and Gnome is absolutely unable to manage anything related to screens, dual monitors, sessions logging or screen locking/screensavers when idling. Coming from Unity, it's just crazy ugly how it's buggy.
                  - had a big issue a few days ago with starting X at boot (probably X 1.20 related) and padoka was dead. Oibaf worked though after a couple hours of tinkering. Might be more of a Mesa-Xorg issue though.

Let's take this with a pinch of salt for now as I'm on 18.04 (I know it's not recommended but switching from Unity needed the most recent stack), but it's almost beta time and I've never ran into so many big and blocking issues in any development phase before.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 07 March 2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

that's just the reserved memory ... this is not adjustable on my Envy x360. However some desktop mobos enable to change this to 64MB anyway. Afaik there's no setting for the upper limit (i.e. when will it stop eating memory). The Envy x360 has a maximum of 4GB afaik ... not sure.

The way both desktop and mobile are using system RAM is the same ... it's just the initial reservation that can be adjusted on desktop.

Comment

Working...
                    X