Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Octopus Is A Gemini Lake Chromebook

Phoronix: Google's Octopus Is A Gemini Lake Chromebook

While we're still waiting on an AMD-powered Chromebook as well as for Cannonlake to materialize, it appears Google is prepping support for a Geminilake Chromebook as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chromebooks are cool with the Android app capability and have an EPIK one myself. That said, I found out its possible to use the Intel graphics virtualization feature for Android guests running on regular PCs and Linux distributions. That means accelerated OpenGL ES and Vulkan for Android on Linux via QEMU.

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/ca0b60f995bd7e4fca0721bf73cf4ebb49cbb591/68747470733a2f2f7331332e706f7374696d672e6f72672f746a3436333733397a2f53637265656e73686f745f66726f6d5f323031382d30322d31385f30312d32362d34332e706e67

Comment

Not completely relevant, but hopefully one of these AMD SOCs becomes a Chromebook:

2017 has been the year of the rise of AMD in everything regarding processors. From entry-level up-to enthusiast class with Threadripper and Epyc. With Ryzen 2000G just launching and the Zen+ updates i...

Comment

Octopus. I just can't help but be reminded of countless jokes at Google's expense that have been made over the years. ("The Google Data Kraken", putting up an array of ad company logos with Google's being replaced with Cthulhu, etc.)

As George Carlin said during his Airline Announcements segment, "Final Approach is another one. Final is not a word you want to be using with an airplane."

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Octopus. I just can't help but be reminded of countless jokes at Google's expense that have been made over the years. ("The Google Data Kraken", putting up an array of ad company logos with Google's being replaced with Cthulhu, etc.)

As George Carlin said during his Airline Announcements segment, "Final Approach is another one. Final is not a word you want to be using with an airplane."
          Is it because it has 8 threads?

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
            Not completely relevant, but hopefully one of these AMD SOCs becomes a Chromebook:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/em...mini-lake.html
            Oooh... it will support ECC ram. Considering that chromebooks are using Coreboot and that DDR4 ECC does not require different sockets, it should be possible to finally have ECC on a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              Chromebooks are cool with the Android app capability and have an EPIK one myself. That said, I found out its possible to use the Intel graphics virtualization feature for Android guests running on regular PCs and Linux distributions. That means accelerated OpenGL ES and Vulkan for Android on Linux via QEMU.
              Where did you get the Android 8.1 image that you are using with qemu?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Hail Hydra!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Oooh... it will support ECC ram. Considering that chromebooks are using Coreboot and that DDR4 ECC does not require different sockets, it should be possible to finally have ECC on a laptop.
                  But ECC will require motherboard support and 5 RAM sockets... I don't think we'll see that in a chromebook!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Chromebooks have soldered RAM usually.
                    Though I wonder if anyone tried to install ECC memory in the HP Envy x360 or ASUS GL702ZC.

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                    But ECC will require motherboard support and 5 RAM sockets... I don't think we'll see that in a chromebook!
                    Actually, you need to revert one small kernel patch that disables forcing ECC on Ryzen, then you can enable ECC even without mobo support.

Comment

Working...
                    X