Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNF Package Manager Is Now Available On Clear Linux

Phoronix: DNF Package Manager Is Now Available On Clear Linux

While Clear Linux may be extremely performant as shown in our many benchmarks, its default repository serving "bundles" (their task-based approach to package management) can be a bit light if wanting to use this Intel open-source Linux distribution on the desktop. There has been yum available via a bundle while now next-gen Yum, DNF, is also now available on Clear Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Give it a go, we all like to see if Usain Bolt will be first or not

As distro-hopping, he also wanna do sport-hopping, as could be seen here "in the name of the game"...

Last edited by dungeon; 31 January 2018, 02:29 AM.

Comment

I'm interested in your benchmarks, as always. I'm also definitely interested in using Clear Linux on the desktop.

Comment

Your review will probably "Clear" for me (hoho) whether to put Arch or Clear in my new X1 carbon

Comment

Will packages via DNF utilize existing libs on the system or try to install the DNF equivalent packages?

Comment

"compare to the performance of the native Clear Linux bundles/packages, etc"

That would be awesome!
            I'm very interested.
            I tried using Clear Linux, but the packages available (and the requirement to build those that aren't) bugged me.

If there are some performance gains from using CL as base and the dnf /yum packages, maybe it's worth a little more effort.

Could you run their php5 vs dnf php7?

Comment

To be very clear; DNF on clear linux cannot be used to install packages onto a system;
              it's only for the internal mechanics of our own devops team....

Comment

Originally posted by Eduardo Gäedke View Post
                "compare to the performance of the native Clear Linux bundles/packages, etc"

Could you run their php5 vs dnf php7?
                (fwiw clear linux ships php 7)

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
                  To be very clear; DNF on clear linux cannot be used to install packages onto a system;
                  it's only for the internal mechanics of our own devops team....
                  Is that an indication of how limited your current package management scheme is?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Is that an indication of how limited your current package management scheme is?
                    well no it is an indication that we're not an RPM package based distro.

bundles have a limitation currently, mostly that we're bound to a max of about 100 due to devops logistics; we're working hard to break that so we can go much more finegrained.

Comment

Working...
                    X