Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD AOCC Compiler 1.1 Released For Zen CPUs

Phoronix: AMD AOCC Compiler 1.1 Released For Zen CPUs

AOCC 1.1 is the second public release of the AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler designed for Ryzen/Threadripper/EPYC processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would certainly be interesting to see if there are any benefits over llvm - but not sure if there will be anything truly spectacular

Comment

Pick llvm trunk of 30th Nov and compare, older or newer might be something else

Extends LLVM 6.0 trunk (llvm.org, 30th Nov) with enhancements and optimizations

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Pick llvm trunk of 30th Nov and compare, older or newer might be something else
        did a quick comparison using scimark2: clang-7 and aocc-1.1 vectorize better than gcc-7.3 (clang-7 is king), but both are inferior to gcc in the other tests (average over 5 runs).

Comment

That is interesting. The older compiler was based on a different base compiler so I always assumed they did not want to go into the trouble of mainlineing their (alleged)optimizations. Now that they switched to llvm, why not as well submit the improvements to llvm?

Comment

Originally posted by pattakosn View Post
            That is interesting. The older compiler was based on a different base compiler so I always assumed they did not want to go into the trouble of mainlineing their (alleged)optimizations. Now that they switched to llvm, why not as well submit the improvements to llvm?
            It'd be nice if they would, I write Rust which uses LLVM and wouldn't mind the improvements they made for optimizing to their hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              did a quick comparison using scimark2: clang-7 and aocc-1.1 vectorize better than gcc-7.3
              why compare preprerelease of clang with mature release of gcc?

Comment

Originally posted by pattakosn View Post
                Given that optimizations for Zen are always good for AMD, I'd guess they can't mainline it, rather than that they don't want to. My guess would be that they don't own all the intellectual property.

Comment

They'll mainline this stuff once it's mature

Comment

Working...
                  X