Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin Developer's Response To The GNOME CSD Initiative

Phoronix: KWin Developer's Response To The GNOME CSD Initiative

KDE KWin window manager / compositor maintainer Martin Flöser has penned a brief response to the recent GNOME developer's CSD Initiative in trying to get all applications to pursue client-side decorations and abandon title bars in favor of header bars...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think there is going to be a winning side. Gnome will implement CSD with no other options and KDE will make it optional with a configuration. Those people that enjoy slavery will keep using gnome and those people that enjoy freedom will keep using Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I don't think there is going to be a winning side. Gnome will implement CSD with no other options and KDE will make it optional with a configuration. Those people that enjoy slavery will keep using gnome and those people that enjoy freedom will keep using Plasma.
      whats wrong with slavery ?

Comment

Following the bug https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=389117 I can feel the frustration if the developers are not only affected by CSD bugs but they also have to read this CSD propaganda.

Comment

Well it seems that gnome devs learned nothing from their past huge mistakes , I'm looking at you gnome3, especially they haven't learned humility and the art of listening to feedback. They keep on with their hindsighted approach, the syndrome of the developer thiniking he is always right at its worst.

Comment

I don't think there is going to be a winning side. Gnome will implement CSD with no other options and KDE will make it optional with a configuration.
            It's much easier to fallback from CSD to server-side decoration than vice versa. This is also what the Gnome / GTK devs have done exactly to allow Gnome apps to be ran under other desktop environments. Basically there is nothing left to do as of now.

Comment

"which side will win?"
              it is not like there is some fighting
              fedora's default de is gnome
              ubuntu's default de is not kde
              kde is just being ignored

Comment

And yet, despite all this Gnome hate, KDE is a distant also ran when it comes to desktop DE placements. Maybe the combined multi-year debacle of KDE 3 and KDE 4 and
                KDE 5... ( in particular )... along with their linkage to Qt which was a crap show early on in its move from v4.0 to v5.0 has something to do with it.

Gnome is the default DE for Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS/Oracle/Scientific Linux
                Gnome is the default DE for Suse
                Gnome is the default DE for Ubuntu
                Gnome is the default DE for Solaris
                Gnome is the default DE for Intel's Clear Linux
                Gnome is the default DE for SteamOS
                Gnome is the default DE for Kali Linux

Mate, while originally a fork of Gnome 2, is now based on Gnome 3 framework, forked Gnome 3 apps and GTK+ 3
                Cinnamon is a derivative of Gnome 3 and GTK+ 3
                Budgie, although being re-written in Qt supposedly, is currently a fork of Gnome 3 and is based on GTK+ 3
                Xfce, although not a Gnome fork, is being re-based on GTK+ 3 just as Gnome and all the Gnome derivatives

And in a recent poll on THIS very site, Gnome was the #1 DE used by participants of the poll.

I am NOT a Gnome troll or fanbois. But I will respond to KDE users who insist on trashing another DE simply because they don't have a preference for said DE. State your objections from YOUR SUBJECTIVE observations. But stop whining simply because you're in the minority.

Whatever pissed you off about Gnome 3 when it was first released....oh....7 YEARS AGO this April....may not be there anymore. Even Linus Torvalds, after trashing Gnome, has come back to it after using KDE and Xfce. While not proof that Gnome doesn't suck in the general anymore, it could mean that for Linus it sucks less than the rest. Or....it just meets his needs better now than the rest. At least he came back to it and gave it another try. Unlike a lot of you KDE flamers.

Comment

again gnome and redhat imposing this things to othrers

Comment

Very odd definition for slavery...

Comment

Working...
                    X