Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sound Drivers Coming In Linux 4.16 Kernel

Phoronix: New Sound Drivers Coming In Linux 4.16 Kernel

Due to longtime SUSE developer Takashi Iwai going on holiday the next few weeks, he has already sent in the sound driver feature updates targeting the upcoming Linux 4.16 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

arrg, still have not sent my M$ Surface ALSA patch upstream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YkPtfC4LI guess after Takashi's holiday then ;-)

Comment

Great to see Linux getting drivers for all these chips. Kind of amazes me how many sound chips are newly pushed on the market, as this seems to be so "done technology", I mean seriously, is there anything relevant those chips can do that the last generation couldn't?

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
        Great to see Linux getting drivers for all these chips. Kind of amazes me how many sound chips are newly pushed on the market, as this seems to be so "done technology", I mean seriously, is there anything relevant those chips can do that the last generation couldn't?
        Human ear gains more resolution as a result of human gene evolution. Your parents might have been happy with C cassettes (SNR around 70 dB), but now people desire continuous upgrades. 130 dB SNR was good 5 years ago, but now most people expect 135. One more decibel per year. Same thing with DAC capabilities. 24bit audio was good back in the SACD/DVD-Audio days, but now new phone chips already have 32, which is quite natural evolution since audio professionals can easily spot the difference. https://www.androidauthority.com/sna...in-970-820651/

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Human ear gains more resolution as a result of human gene evolution. Your parents might have been happy with C cassettes (SNR around 70 dB), but now people desire continuous upgrades. 130 dB SNR was good 5 years ago, but now most people expect 135. One more decibel per year. Same thing with DAC capabilities. 24bit audio was good back in the SACD/DVD-Audio days, but now new phone chips already have 32, which is quite natural evolution since audio professionals can easily spot the difference. https://www.androidauthority.com/sna...in-970-820651/
          No that is not how biology works. This is purely a numbers game to sell more units and have nothing to do with actual performance. There is no golden ears in the world that can distinguish between a 24-bit and 32-bit DAC in a proper ABX test unless they alter the sound on them deliberately (and this shit happens).

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            Bulk are for embedded. Either for media players or they are the DAC integrated in a SoC.

So yeah, the ones integrated in the SoCs are mostly pointless reinventing of the wheel, the high quality ones are just competing for being used in embedded market.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

No that is not how biology works. This is purely a numbers game to sell more units and have nothing to do with actual performance. There is no golden ears in the world that can distinguish between a 24-bit and 32-bit DAC in a proper ABX test unless they alter the sound on them deliberately (and this shit happens).
              Agreed 100%. Saying that improved hearing in one or two generations is possible in evolution is ludicrous. This sales trick is similar to the "speaker performance" BS with audio vs electrical Watts.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                arrg, still have not sent my M$ Surface ALSA patch upstream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YkPtfC4LI guess after Takashi's holiday then ;-)
                Nice video. It looks like I submitted my first kernel patch to the sound subsystem just in time for it to end up in this pull request.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Agreed 100%. Saying that improved hearing in one or two generations is possible in evolution is ludicrous. This sales trick is similar to the "speaker performance" BS with audio vs electrical Watts.
                  P.M.P.O Watts died already. Nobody uses them anymore. The thing with audio hardware is, the numbers will continue to grow and they're actually real. A 32 bit DAC indeed has 32 bit slots for input. A 140 dB SNR in a DAC really is 140 dB. That old 10000W PMPO amplifier OTOH was just a 5W DIN A-weighted amplifier. People think that their ears are golden, when they really aren't. But that doesn't matter, it's business. How businesses work, they need to generate revenue and not only a constant stream, but also annual growth, e.g. 8%.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Human ear is killed off early-on these days. Majority does not realize that noise damage is a permanent damage.

My left ear is -35dB 3...5kHz range, from shooting without ear mufflers, when I was younger. By the time issue was discovered in a routine check, it was already late.

Now I literally shudder each time I happen to see some dude or gal listening music so loud through their headsets that I can actually clearly hear it from 2 meters away. Happens multiple times a day, usually it's people from pre-teens to 20+. Or idiot car-fags from 18 to 40 with seemingly 1kW bass in their cars booming through half the city.. Deaf as stone wall before hitting 50.

Comment

Working...
                    X