Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Discover Snap Support Is Maturing Too

Phoronix: KDE's Discover Snap Support Is Maturing Too

While KDE Discover's Flatpak support was declared "production ready", that isn't the only app sandboxing tech they are working on: their Ubuntu Snap support is also coming together nicely...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm super uninterested in Snap or Flatpak. All I want in Discover is good integration with AppImage. Basically I don't want to open 10 different sites to download the AppImages.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
      I'm super uninterested in Snap or Flatpak. All I want in Discover is good integration with AppImage. Basically I don't want to open 10 different sites to download the AppImages.
      if they can get all 3 working and enforce the AppImage sandboxing, that'd be awesome

To be fair though, i don't really care which underlying tech an app uses, as long as it works flawlessly

Comment

I use Flatpak and Snap mostly for proprietary apps like e.g. Skype, Discord and hopefully soon Steam. I really like both solutions and in the end it doesn't matter as long as they are sandboxed and uptodate, I'm slowly starting to use it for FOSS aswell

Comment

Last time I tried, any such "bundled" software completely ignored desktop customization (such as dark Qt theme). Is that better now?

For proprietary software, I'll take it as a necessary evil, but it'll never replace a good package manager.

Comment

Yes the krita appimage didn't show in menus and I didn't know where to put, apart leaving it within downloads.

Comment

Cool, i love snaps. Make my life easier which is always a good thing

Comment

Discover appears not to work with pacman as a backend.

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm the author.

On the subject of AppImage, I'm going to write another post on that subject, but the long and short of it is that AppImage deliberately does not require Discover or anything like it to work. You manage AppImages with your file manager, just like app bundles on macOS, if anyone is familiar with that platform.

@eggbert: pacman is an Arch-specific package manager, and Discover most certainly does work for Arch using the PackageKit backend. In fact, the lead developer does all his development work and testing on Arch. If it's not working for you, please file a bug: https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Discover

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
                    On the subject of AppImage, I'm going to write another post on that subject, but the long and short of it is that AppImage deliberately does not require Discover or anything like it to work. You manage AppImages with your file manager, just like app bundles on macOS, if anyone is familiar with that platform.
                    Funny you mention macOS because in the days before the Mac App Store there was an update framework called Sparkle. It was actually an ingenious idea: It used a podcast-derived XML file (AppCast) to announce updates. Such a thing combined with an AppCast directory would deliver what he wants.

Comment

Working...
                    X