Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Still Loves Git & Continues Working On Improvements

Phoronix: Microsoft Still Loves Git & Continues Working On Improvements

Microsoft made many upstream contributions to the Git version control system over the past year to improve its performance and they plan to continue contributing to the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Loves"....
    As some say, history always repeats itself and people never learn.

Comment

Thinking of git and windows, for large projects git seems substantially slower on Windows than on Linux. I get faster results from git running on ext4 or btrfs on a spinning platter drive than I do on Windows with it running on ntfs on a pretty good SSD.

The Linux fan in me loves that ntfs+git = suck. But since I have to use ntfs+git for work I would like to see the situation improve. (I should have taken the Macbook when they offered it, I'm stupid.)

Comment

One day who knows, maybe they'll put it all open source on github, can you imagine running a few commands and getting a self compiled Windows image?

RMS will have won!

Comment

They should help to make Git lighter too, currently it is so fat on Windows with thousands of files.

Comment

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
            They should help to make Git lighter too, currently it is so fat on Windows with thousands of files.
            That's not a git problem, that's just something Windows seems to suffer with in general.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis

Android is open source, yet I can never get any third party ROM running on my phone due to the vendor doesn't want to open source their own kernel.
              And I got tortured by watching those apps and built in mysterious code uploading my data to who knows where. I was stupid enough to buy a phone without researching.
              Lesson learned, open source is not a silver bullet, you need GPL V3.
              Or be more careful with what device you buy. Plus the radio in any mobile device will be locked down, it's basically another realtime OS

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Or be more careful with what device you buy. Plus the radio in any mobile device will be locked down, it's basically another realtime OS
                Not to wander to far off the reservation, but due to patents and cross licensing, and the need for the device to match (in radio functionality) the carriers equipment at the tower, a "libre phone" just isn't possible in a traditional sense. You will always be held to account with the proprietary requirements of the radio supplier.

The largest patent portfolio in wireless telecom (Qualcomm) is not likely to loosen its hold anytime soon. And even when many of the GSM 2G patents expire, there will be no carrier offering the service type anymore.

Getting back to Windows and Git, I agree with the first comment "history always repeats itself and people never learn" is apropos to the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
                  "Loves"....
                  As some say, history always repeats itself and people never learn.
                  They're contributing their patches back to Git upstream.

This is less "we're trying to take over the Git world" and more "We tried building our own version control. Visual SourceSafe sucked and we need to get work done."

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    Not to wander to far off the reservation, but due to patents and cross licensing, and the need for the device to match (in radio functionality) the carriers equipment at the tower, a "libre phone" just isn't possible in a traditional sense. You will always be held to account with the proprietary requirements of the radio supplier.
                    There are various external basebands. Using a SOC with external modem can isolate the proprietary parts. That's what Purism / Librem is doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X