Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Supports Android Native Buffer, Increasing Likelihood Of Chrome/Android AMD Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Supports Android Native Buffer, Increasing Likelihood Of Chrome/Android AMD Device

Phoronix: RADV Supports Android Native Buffer, Increasing Likelihood Of Chrome/Android AMD Device

The open-source Mesa RADV Vulkan driver, RADV, now has patches for supporting VK_ANDROID_native_buffer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Chromebooks mean Coreboot and if they would bring some Zen(+) arch device to reality with full freedom stack - and combine that with a good keyboard (layout + key-switches) and good screen (IPS) and an SSD option and decent runtime, I'd probably insta-buy one.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      If Chromebooks mean Coreboot and if they would bring some Zen(+) arch device to reality with full freedom stack - and combine that with a good keyboard (layout + key-switches) and good screen (IPS) and an SSD option and decent runtime, I'd probably insta-buy one.
      If it had an SSD option, it wouldn't be a Chromebook. Wrong business model.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

If it had an SSD option, it wouldn't be a Chromebook. Wrong business model.
        Google has their Chromebook Pixel for $1000 US. Maybe they're angling for a Raven Ridge version of that?

Comment

I think Google stopped making the Chromebook Pixel, no?

An AMD Chromebook like the HP Chromebook 13 G1, just with Raven Ridge instead of Intel and with NVMe SSD instead of eMMC would be great. Or at least anything else with high-resolution (QHD+) display in that price and weight range.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            I think Google stopped making the Chromebook Pixel, no?
            No, it's just called the PixelBook now. Also I'm very happy about this driver change-- I had to ditch my Nexus 5 because the GPU driver wasn't FOSS and they stopped updating it. If I get a phone with Radeon graphics, maybe I can keep it for 5 years instead of having to get a new/used second-generation Nexus/Pixel every 2-- especially with the recent upstream establishment of LTS Linux releases.

Comment

Working...
            X