X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    AFAIK KDE had internal issues with the KDE system libraries being an elephant in the room and they had to split a ton of things up and merge in Qt what they could and so on.

I don't see how with a new Qt they would have to rewrite all, unless Qt breaks hard backward-compatibility.
    Every Qt major version, that is the x.0 release, they're allowed to break to ABI/API, whereas minor versions are required to be ABI compatible, and they're only going to do Qt 6.0 if they have ABI breaking changes to implement. Now that said, realistically the bulk of the framework is going to remain in place, and should be highly source compatible, but not completely. Most of your Qt5 applications and libraries should work without change (though will require a recompile) on a theoretical Qt6. What's made KDE 3 -> KDE 4 and KDE 4 -> KDE Frameworks/Applications/Plasma 5 so traumatic is that KDE has gone "Oh Qt is breaking their ABI, time to break ours and rewrite things". Which meant that KDE applications not only had to change for the new Qt but also the new KDELib as a single leap. You're right in that KDE Libs being upstreamed does help... but KDE Frameworks is still a thing, so we'll see how much it causes issues this time around.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

KDE 3.5 (and current Trinity) was waaaaay more configurable. But that's not the point here. You seem to be confused. I was talking about the rewriting of KDE. Maybe you want to re-read the post I quoted as well, 'cause that's what I replied to and he, just like me, was talking about rewriting.
    Since when has anyone complained about GNOME being rewritten? And no you can't quote birdie or some other nut.

What people complained about with GNOME 2.x: They kept removing features (this was very true)

What people complained about with GNOME 3.x: They hate the interface, and GNOME keeps breaking extensions that allow them to fix the interface

There have not been any complaints about them "rewriting things". Not from anyone sane anyway.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    KDE 3.5 (and current Trinity) was waaaaay more configurable. But that's not the point here. You seem to be confused. I was talking about the rewriting of KDE. Maybe you want to re-read the post I quoted as well, 'cause that's what I replied to and he, just like me, was talking about rewriting.
    AFAIK KDE had internal issues with the KDE system libraries being an elephant in the room and they had to split a ton of things up and merge in Qt what they could and so on.

I don't see how with a new Qt they would have to rewrite all, unless Qt breaks hard backward-compatibility.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    When did KDE change their interface into a tablet-friendly thing for no real reason (useless on PC), removed any and all options, and made anything non-standard available through extensions that break every minor version?

Because I'm not seeing this on KDE, and there is no indication it will happen either.

Leave a comment:

• PackRat
    replied
    Originally posted by andreano View Post
    KDE users: Yet another new major version? Nooooooo not again!!!

(For each new Qt major version, the KDE devs have started all over and created nothing like the previous KDE version.)
    Lol reminded me of a youtube video where a kde developer say's " Nooo! qt 6 is coming " at 20:10 https://youtu.be/X843MCxw5TQ?t=121

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Meanwhile, people keep bashing GNOME while KDE is doing the same thing.
    When did KDE change their interface into a tablet-friendly thing for no real reason (useless on PC), removed any and all options, and made anything non-standard available through extensions that break every minor version?

Because I'm not seeing this on KDE, and there is no indication it will happen either.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    Some Wayland bug fixes would be more than welcome! Vulkan sounds very interesting too :-)

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied

(For each new Qt major version, the KDE devs have started all over and created nothing like the previous KDE version.)
    KDE 3 was exactly like KDE 2, at least in the first version. New looks only came with 3.1 or 3.2 as I recall.

For Qt6, I hope KDE keeps the frameworks and avoids making double changes again (changing both KDE libs and Qt at the same time).

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

Meanwhile, people keep bashing GNOME while KDE is doing the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Meteorhead
    replied
    Where did you get the info on a "single source shading language"? I am looking for the day when I can do graphics (with compute interop) in a similar fashion as one can do with SYCL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X