Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++17 Is Now Official

Phoronix: C++17 Is Now Official

The final standard of C++17 (formerly known as "C++1z") is now official...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have opened iso.org for this C++17 thing, and as I saw "Number of pages : 1605" and spill my coffee one my keyboard. Wow now that is pretty long document they have there. Would love to read a bit that PDF but it costs 198 CHF! (170€ ~). Why is it so expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by adomas View Post
      I have opened iso.org for this C++17 thing, and as I saw "Number of pages : 1605" and spill my coffee one my keyboard. Wow now that is pretty long document they have there. Would love to read a bit that PDF but it costs 198 CHF! (170€ ~). Why is it so expensive?
      The price of the final standard is set by the ISO, who own the copyright. Pretty much all practitioners refer to the final draft, which is free. See https://isocpp.org/std/the-standard, which links to both the standard and the draft.

Comment

Why is it so expensive?
        PDF is free on github

Comment

https://isocpp.org/std/the-standard links to both the free draft version (what all practitioners use) and the ISO standard (which ISO has copyright on and does not allow to be freely distributed).

(Wrote a longer reply earlier but it vanished, here's the quick & short version.)

Comment

I propose that for the 2020 revision, we add an standard error message "Index was out of range" to be used for all runtime errors, send the committee members retirement gold watches, ban any further C++ standards work for the next 40 years (by which time I expect to be dead or at least retired), and finally we change the name of the language to "Visual Basic".

Because they seem to want to turn it into just such a monstrosity.

Comment

Wanna know why the C++ standard is starting to look rather like the DSM V?

Here's why, it's not a committee, it's an ever-expanding mob:

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                Wanna know why the C++ standard is starting to look rather like the DSM V?

Here's why, it's not a committee, it's an ever-expanding mob:

Hehe, I dunno if that's a fair way to judge. 2014 was in Washington, 2017 was in Hawaii. I know which meeting I'd rather have gone to.

I haven't followed development closely since C++14, but the leap from C++98 to C++11/14 is enough of a win for my work that the committee can do whatever they like for the next decade as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Would love to read a bit that PDF but it costs 198 CHF!
                  You're mad. It's like reading the phone book, but with less character development or the descriptive prose. Trust me, I spend 8 hours a day with that thing making my eyes bleed all over my screen and leaving my keyboard sticky.

Comment

I propose that for the 2020 revision, we
                    why do you refer to yourself in plural? or is it voices in your head?
                    Because they seem to want to turn it into just such a monstrosity.
                    seeing what isn't there is symptom of drug abuse
                    c++ has core language spec of similar size to its competitors(no, not to brainfuck) and orders of magnitude smaller library spec
                    Last edited by pal666; 04 December 2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X