LLVM Picks Up 3DNow! Improvements In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see LLVM embracing retro computing :-P

But I don't think they can beat GCC. DJGPP is still updating GCC. You can get GCC 7 for MS-DOS.

Yes, virtually useless, but totally awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      The only remnant of 3DNow that is still supported is the PREFETCHW instruction
      Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Iirc. one single instruction was still kept.
      Two instructions were kept: PREFETCH and PREFETCHW. These are also supported on recent Intel CPUs.

Comment

Applications which benefited the most, such as codecs, probably included explicit 3DNow code along with runtime detection, without relying on the compiler. So it's unlikely there will be any notable improvement even on older hardware running recompiled binaries (which would likely be incompatible with non-3DNow CPUs, so you won't really see them in binary distros). One possible usecase is squeezing out some extra performance out of high-performance computing code that relies heavily on compiler optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          But I don't think they can beat GCC. DJGPP is still updating GCC. You can get GCC 7 for MS-DOS.
          Yes, virtually useless, but totally awesome.
          Well, FreeDOS is maintained too, so you can still get updated DOS for a somewhat recent-ish hardware (needs firmware BIOS support, either as in dual mode BIOS/UEFI motherboard or as BIOS compatibility-layer payload as Mac OS X's bootcamp support for pre-UEFI windows like XP).

But the only GPU for which you can find working DOS support are the now defunct 3DFx hardware (they used to make DOS Glide drivers, and Mesa used to have a Glide back-end for Linux and DOS, and Allegro is a graphical library similar to SDL that can be used to tie everything together).

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Well, FreeDOS is maintained too, so you can still get updated DOS for a somewhat recent-ish hardware (needs firmware BIOS support, either as in dual mode BIOS/UEFI motherboard or as BIOS compatibility-layer payload as Mac OS X's bootcamp support for pre-UEFI windows like XP).

But the only GPU for which you can find working DOS support are the now defunct 3DFx hardware (they used to make DOS Glide drivers, and Mesa used to have a Glide back-end for Linux and DOS, and Allegro is a graphical library similar to SDL that can be used to tie everything together).
            Thanks for the walk down memory lane...

I might be mistaken, but I believe winedos supports recent Mesa etc. The challenge would be finding DOS software that takes advantage of it.

Comment

Working...
            X