Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Picks Up 3DNow! Improvements In 2017

Phoronix: LLVM Picks Up 3DNow! Improvements In 2017

As a flashback to the past, hitting the LLVM Git/SVN code today were improvements for those still running with processors supporting AMD's 3DNow! extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"AMD K6 up to Bulldozer CPU"

Bulldozer doesn't have 3DNow!, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      "AMD K6 up to Bulldozer CPU"

Bulldozer doesn't have 3DNow!, right?
      I believe the newer processors emulated it or some such

Comment

Bulldozer doesn't expose 3DNow support, and I highly doubt that the instructions would work. The only remnant of 3DNow that is still supported is the PREFETCHW instruction, which (afaik) has its own CPUID flag nowadays.

Anyway, there's absolutely no reason to ever prefer 3DNow! + MMX over SSE2 on CPUs that support it. What I'd like to know is the motivation behind this work.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
          Bulldozer doesn't expose 3DNow support, and I highly doubt that the instructions would work. The only remnant of 3DNow that is still supported is the PREFETCHW instruction, which (afaik) has its own CPUID flag nowadays.

Anyway, there's absolutely no reason to ever prefer 3DNow! + MMX over SSE2 on CPUs that support it. What I'd like to know is the motivation behind this work.
          Well, it's possible there's some limited benefit to it on some models. Maybe on one of those huge Opteron supercomputers (though I'm not sure how quickly those things phase out hardware these days).

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I believe the newer processors emulated it or some such
            No. They don't. Programs will throw a bad opcode or something if you try.
            At least I tried exactly that (by accident) several days ago.

Iirc. one single instruction was still kept. But 3dnow / extd. ist gone for quite some time. The FX ones (AM3+) did not support it, most Athlon II models did.
            Well, anyway, why not. If it helps on older machines, then let's have it. It shouldn't hurt elsewhere (unless you switch it on for a non capable CPU).
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The latest cpu with 3dNow is 5 years old at this point. The oldest would be 20!

Comment

** BREAKING NEWS ** from the "Better Late Than Never" department. LOL......got to be for some embedded K6 derivative out there. Oh well....late AMD attention is better than no attention at all I suppose.

Comment

Some VIA CPUs also supported 3DNow.

Also I think that certain AMD CPUs (Bobcat?) would still execute 3DNow instructions despite not advertising them. This is similar to the Ryzen/FMA4 situation.

Comment

Is this relevant? https://reviews.llvm.org/D39952

Comment

Working...
                    X