Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTechLab Microcontroller/Electronics IDE Ported To KDE4/Qt4

Phoronix: KTechLab Microcontroller/Electronics IDE Ported To KDE4/Qt4

The KTechLab integrated development environment for electronics and microcontrollers no longer depends upon the vintage KDE3 and Qt3 libraries but has been ported to KDE4/Qt4...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-0.40-Released

Unfortunate that it exclusively targets PIC.

Comment

Well Qt3->Qt4 is the hard part. Assuming it is complete.The hardest part about Qt4->Qt5 is getting rid of any qt3support classes you are still using because you haven't finished the first port.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
        Adding support for other types of microcontrollers should be relatively simple, but it needs a lot of work...

Of course contributions are welcome

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          Well Qt3->Qt4 is the hard part. Assuming it is complete.The hardest part about Qt4->Qt5 is getting rid of any qt3support classes you are still using because you haven't finished the first port.
          Indeed, getting rid of qt3support is still pending. By complete you mean that all functionality is working?

The point of this release has been to have a version that compiles and runs on a current linux distributions, because a lot of time has passed since KDE3.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
            And an idea for using KTechLab as it is:
            in the microcontroller application you can abstract away the low-level details of the microcontroller, so you can simulate your application on a PIC in KTechLab, and for the real microcontroller you can just swap out the low-level code to the one corresponding to your hardware.
            This might be feasable for some applications.

Comment

Originally posted by zoltanp View Post

Indeed, getting rid of qt3support is still pending. By complete you mean that all functionality is working?

The point of this release has been to have a version that compiles and runs on a current linux distributions, because a lot of time has passed since KDE3.
              No. I meant complete as having gotten rid of the support classes. But it is so much easier when you something that works and can do a file at a time.
              ​​​​

Comment

It would nice if the efforts are instead focused into expanding KiCAD. It's free software and I know everyone works on what they like, but sometimes it's nice to consolidate efforts in niche markets such as this.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  But it is so much easier when you something that works and can do a file at a time.
                  ​​​​
                  I completely agree. Tried otherwise, and the result has been a project stall.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
                    It would nice if the efforts are instead focused into expanding KiCAD. It's free software and I know everyone works on what they like, but sometimes it's nice to consolidate efforts in niche markets such as this.
                    Last time when I checked, KiCAD has not been performing simulation, while KTechLab does. Currently it is easier to just port the program forward, than try to (re)implement things. For the future I want some integration, just I do not know any details yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X