Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono Developing A New .NET Interpreter

Phoronix: Mono Developing A New .NET Interpreter

Miguel de Icaza has announced the latest big project with Mono: a new .NET interpreter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this will compete with CS-Script (http://www.csscript.net)?

Comment

Is .Net really used that much anymore? I hardly ever see excitement around .Net in the Mac or Linux worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Is .Net really used that much anymore? I hardly ever see excitement around .Net in the Mac or Linux worlds.
        I think Unity (Game Software) makes use of .net language, but in terms of a standalone .net application, I agree with you.

I think the main problem is that there isn't a cross-platform GUI that Microsoft officially supports. So most .net application would be designed with Windows mainly.

Comment

Absolutely, it just doesn't get much mainstream programming coverage. dotnetcore is a very approachable server platform for beginners. Think "dark matter" software developers. Runs great on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

Absolutely, it just doesn't get much mainstream programming coverage. dotnetcore is a very approachable server platform for beginners. Think "dark matter" software developers. Runs great on linux.
            The last time I tried dotnetCore was when 1.0 was just released, and the documentation from Microsoft's side was awful and nearly non-existant.
            Has the documentation situation improved so much that it has become a good platform for beginners?
            JavaEE is ok once you pass the extremely steep learning curve in the beginning, just because documentation and questions/answers are so ubiquituos to find.

NodeJS and ExpressJS are probably one of the easiest for a beginner. You only need one file with a handful of lines to get your app server started.
            SparkJava, which I am using together with Kotlin right now for a small project, is comparable to NodeJS' simplicity and straightfowarded-ness.

But ASP.Net Core? The way the C# language was utilized in the initial project setup from the official tutorials was extremely unfamiliar and confusing to me, at that point I was an intermediate dev at C++ and beginner at C#.

Comment

There is a lot going on with .Net. One really cool project is this OS build around .Net. Its probably one of the coolest from scratch OS's I've seen: http://www.gocosmos.org
              .Net on Mac and Linux is pretty much limited to command line tools and cross platform web services.

Comment

On Windows it does. But on GNU/Linux you don't generally see it because of α) poor .net integration and bugs (saying from a 1 year old experience, maybe it got better), β) lack of a place in the ecosystem. Indeed, why would you code your GUI using immature native framework of C# and poorly integrated debugger, when you can use an excellent quality Qt with mature gdb which is supported pretty much everywhere.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure gdb could support .net very well if only people from mono have written a backend. But instead they went NIH way, and here we are…

Comment

The .NET Framework is a great platform! Absolutely amazing!

Can't they use Roslyn or use that as a base, or maybe that's what they're doing?

I would really like to see GObject Introspection (GI) on .NET Core so you could use GTK+.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post

There is a lot going on with .Net. One really cool project is this OS build around .Net. Its probably one of the coolest from scratch OS's I've seen: http://www.gocosmos.org
                    I saw nothing of interest there.
                    .Net on Mac and Linux is pretty much limited to command line tools and cross platform web services.
                    Maybe that explains seeing very little .net related tech.

Comment

Working...
                    X