Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Adds GCC ARM Cross-Compilation Support To Visual Studio

Phoronix: Microsoft Adds GCC ARM Cross-Compilation Support To Visual Studio

Microsoft's latest addition to Visual Studio 2017 15.5 is quite surprising: support for cross-compiling to ARM targets using the GCC compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So micro$oft took advantage of an open source project without contributing anything back to gcc.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      ARM micocontrollers for embedded/IoT

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
        So micro$oft took advantage of an open source project without contributing anything back to gcc.
        Meh, so any IDE developer using GCC as the compiler is "taking advantage" of it now?

Visual Studio is an IDE, there is nothing wrong in adding support for a compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Meh, so any IDE developer using GCC as the compiler is "taking advantage" of it now?
          Pretty much. If you've ever even *run* compiled code and not contributed to the internals of GCC, and done it on Linux without at least reading the LKML until the bleeding from your eyes has stopped due to exsanguination, you're just a leach on the good will of the Elder Ones. Oh, wait, if you've ever run Linux without having contributed to the *original* Unix at Bell Labs, you're just a poser. No, wait even more, if you've ever drunk water without being one of the original dinosaurs from over 60 million years ago you've an evolutionary dead end.

OK, I'm done for now.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
            Huh?

You do realize that Visual Studio is an IDE, by some measures a pretty good IDE. If anything they are doing open source developers a favor here as every open source IDE I know of pretty much sucks. Beyond that MS has changed directions pretty dramatically with the new management team. I can't say then totally get open source but they are at least providing some support.

In a nut shell open source developers get an great IDE to work with a compiler that is far more compliant than MS own compiler. Also this is targeted at embedded development with micro-controllers which is an even more thinly supported niche in the open source development world.
            Last edited by wizard69; 03 November 2017, 05:00 PM. Reason: details

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              as every open source IDE I know of pretty much sucks.
              I'd like to try that substance you are on..... Or maybe you don't know that many open source IDE's?
              I like VS, but i also think it is getting pretty bloated. The last VS install i did (VS2015 i think) was more than 10 GB on my disk. It was slow to start and it barely supported anything from outside the MS world. It was an ok IDE but it definitely had issues.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

I'd like to try that substance you are on..... Or maybe you don't know that many open source IDE's?
                I like VS, but i also think it is getting pretty bloated. The last VS install i did (VS2015 i think) was more than 10 GB on my disk. It was slow to start and it barely supported anything from outside the MS world. It was an ok IDE but it definitely had issues.
                I addition, when VS doesn't work — which to me unfortunately happened too often on my ex-job — neither you, nor anybody on the internet knows why is it, and how to fix it. Pretty much every post on StackOverflow about VS errors is a bunch of guesswork-answers, like "I've restarted the studio 2.5 times, and then rebooted, and now it works! Dunno why it worked, but posting it here in case it helps somebody!" It's a typical situation with proprietary software: it is fine only until it works.

Originally posted by Denis Vlasenko on lkml
                What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and start banging your head against the wall.

Comment

VS is a pretty good IDE for c# development. I think it's only average when it comes to C++, but the same is true for other OSS IDE's as well.

Comment

Whoa, seems hell finally freezes over. But, honestly, go to hell, dear Microsoft. When it comes to C compilers, VS sucked hell a lot for a while, and it took MS that long to merely recognize and acknowledge it by this move. Maybe MS got really unhappy they ARE losing influence on these old-school high-profile devs who had enough MS crap. You can't imagine how many ppl switched to git, make, gcc or clang in like past 5 years, giving their VS compilers up. Furthermore, VS devs could no consider self as first class citizens when it comes to software development. When some promising, jaw-dropping software project starts, one could count it going to be opensource and wouldn't rely on VS or whatever MS crap, that's for sure. One should be really smartass to rely on such a great tools from such a great company, especially for doing cross platform development, where MS sucked well beyond of imagination like forever and half. But of course everyone could join MS ranks. Let's see if these VS fuckers could pose any competition when it comes to IoT. Have fun e.g. building Linux kernel under Windows. Oh, wait, there is some weird windows for IoT, just because MS wants to sell something, no? Have fun using it, tee-hee.

Comment

Working...
                    X