Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Prepares For C17 Language Support

Phoronix: GCC Prepares For C17 Language Support

Not to be confused with C++17 that brings many notable additions and improvements, C17 is also coming soon as an update to the C programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anything new in C17?
    Could it get anything new inspired by Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Anything new in C17?
      Could it get anything new inspired by Rust?
      Until a few months ago I've only read a few proposals for a C2x Standard. So I'm not sure what should be this C17/C18 new publication to be honest. Also, this document (http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...docs/n2021.htm) mentions 2022 as the currently intended date for publication of the next full standard.

EDIT: well, Michael already posted this link in the article (https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2.../msg02121.html), so it's actually "a bug-fix version of the C11 standard with DR resolutions integrated".
      Last edited by GdeR; 29 October 2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

GdeR
        Does this mean no binary literals for C17?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          GdeR
          Does this mean no binary literals for C17?
          As far as I know the proposal for binary literals has always been rejected. However, GCC for example does have an extension that supports it: https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/B...nary-constants

Comment

C17 seem to be just corrections to C11 (though hard to tell, when I finally found the official proposal for consideration it was a password protected PDF). There are some new stuff proposed in C2x, but nothing major, they have officially decided to let C++ be the more ambitious language, and only do very minor housekeeping that fits into C's current capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              There are some new stuff proposed in C2x, but nothing major
              There is a proposal to add closures to C. That would be pretty major, IMO. (They're drawing from both C++ and Objective-C as experience, I believe.)

Comment

C18 would sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  C17 seem to be just corrections to C11 (though hard to tell, when I finally found the official proposal for consideration it was a password protected PDF). There are some new stuff proposed in C2x, but nothing major, they have officially decided to let C++ be the more ambitious language, and only do very minor housekeeping that fits into C's current capabilities.
                  Funny enough, C99 had stdint.h, but it took until C++11 for C++ to get it (as <cstdint>), the divergent C++ standard actually lacks some important nuances from the C standard, it's pretty funny if you read both.

Comment

Nice to see GCC at the forefront of things and not badly behind LLVM and VC++ like it was with the C++11 adoption/implementation. I guess it goes to show that even open source projects need the occasional kick in the rear end from competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X