Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook Has Been Working On C++ Modules Support For GCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Facebook Has Been Working On C++ Modules Support For GCC

    Phoronix: Facebook Has Been Working On C++ Modules Support For GCC

    For C++20 the long-awaited modules system is likely to finally land. Facebook engineers have been working on a C++ modules implementation already for the GNU Compiler Collection...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CC-CXX-Modules

  • #2
    Newer modules TS draft (taken from the clang site):

    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...2017/n4667.pdf

    Comment


    • #3
      Meh. Modules is the least interesting part of C++20 and the most pointless, and the most likely to cause damage to C++ ecosystems as it tries to replace C preprocessing. It is arguably better, but not by much, and it doesn't do anything the C preprocessing can't, and nor does it even replace it fully.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        Meh. Modules is the least interesting part of C++20 and the most pointless, and the most likely to cause damage to C++ ecosystems as it tries to replace C preprocessing. It is arguably better, but not by much, and it doesn't do anything the C preprocessing can't, and nor does it even replace it fully.
        Apparently it's a situation similar to OpenGL 3.0 where both the old and new design coexist and it adds more complexity and confusion than solving issues.

        Btw: is the C++20 spec already past 1k pages?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cl333r View Post

          Apparently it's a situation similar to OpenGL 3.0 where both the old and new design coexist and it adds more complexity and confusion than solving issues.

          Btw: is the C++20 spec already past 1k pages?
          No C++ specs tend to be small. A few pages at most, and that includes rationalle and references. Concept that are already in C++20 is probably the by far largest new expansion of C++ and is 18 pages.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Modules is the least interesting part of C++20
            modules isn't part of c++20. modules is technical specification. so modules is part of modules ts. after ts is released and experience on using modules is gained, some kind of modules could become part of some future c++ standard. maybe it will be like modules ts, maybe it will be different
            Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            and the most pointless, and the most likely to cause damage to C++ ecosystems as it tries to replace C preprocessing. It is arguably better, but not by much, and it doesn't do anything the C preprocessing can't, and nor does it even replace it fully.
            you could just leave your clueless thoughts to yourself.
            modules do not try to replace c preprocessing. there were two competing proposals, one supports macros, one doesn't. current consensus is to do macro-less modules first and maybe add macros in the future. modules try to replace c++ preprocessing i.e. to avoid compiling same template definitions in each translation unit again and again, i.e. to make compile times faster and to avoid odr violations
            lack of modules support is a major drawback of c++
            Last edited by pal666; 10-09-2017, 01:02 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Apparently it's a situation similar to OpenGL 3.0 where both the old and new design coexist and it adds more complexity and confusion than solving issues.
              apparently current ts does not support macros, i.e. it is exactly opposite
              Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Btw: is the C++20 spec already past 1k pages?
              homework for you: what is spec size of c# and java. and don't forget to include standard libraries spec(standard library is part of c++ spec)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                homework for you: what is spec size of c# and java. and don't forget to include standard libraries spec(standard library is part of c++ spec)
                C# or Java? haha you're digressing, next up digress further by mentioning Hitler.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  C# or Java? haha you're digressing, next up digress further by mentioning Hitler.
                  kid, c# and java(unlike brainfuck) are main c++ competitors. so how big is their spec size again?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This idea of interface and implementation seems to be similar to the Unit concept from Turbo Pascal, implemented since the late 80's by Borland Corp. Anyway it's never too late even for C++. But unlike C++, the Object Pascal has never been subjected to a standardization process by the ISO organization, remaining only as a proprietary standard.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X