Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C++17 Formally Approved, Just Waiting On ISO Publication

Phoronix: C++17 Formally Approved, Just Waiting On ISO Publication

C++17 (formerly C++1z) is ready for its debut. C++17 has been formally approved by its committee and is just waiting on ISO publishing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

-1 for not linking the drafts/documents

Comment

good, now programmers can start making use of these features
      i hope c++20 to have all the changes rejected for c++17

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        good, now programmers can start making use of these features
        Actually it doesnt work like that in real world, most of companies even indie developers couldnt start to use it because of
        lack of support in all compilers, And even worse linux distros always use older compilers and linux projects have to
        follow them ( ei. KDE . ,,, )

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

Actually it doesnt work like that in real world, most of companies even indie developers couldnt start to use it because of
          lack of support in all compilers, And even worse linux distros always use older compilers and linux projects have to
          More or less. C++14 is available is most distros if not all of then. It took 3 years so in 2020 we should be able to easily use c++17 (if the project allows that).

Comment

Ah, and this brings us a problem I was hoping to avoid. Where do we go after 1z?

Comment

I'm learning C++ at the minute. I had issues using C++11 features using compilers with the not-very-old Mint 17.3. I ended up upgrading to Mint 18 to fix the issue. Nothing in this spec will be relevant for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Ah, and this brings us a problem I was hoping to avoid. Where do we go after 1z?
                i guess 2a

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  I'm learning C++ at the minute. I had issues using C++11 features using compilers with the not-very-old Mint 17.3. I ended up upgrading to Mint 18 to fix the issue. Nothing in this spec will be relevant for a while.
                  Get used to it

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

You're not wrong about old compilers in distros, but current clang and gcc already support a large subset of the most important bits of C++17: See https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html and https://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx-status.html

(Though I'm actually much more excited about C++20... the metaclasses + static reflection thing looks kind of amazing. That and concepts. Hopefully, these things'll make it in...)

Comment

Working...
                    X