Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARC Backend Merged In LLVM

Phoronix: ARC Backend Merged In LLVM

LLVM 6.0 SVN/Git now has landed a Synopsys DesignWare ARC processor back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see why anyone would be interested in ARC when there is RISC-V.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      There is and there will be much more ARC stuff around than RISC-V for a long while, and many companies will likely have committed to it decades ago for their embedded/microcontroller stuff even if it is not mainstream like ARM or MIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        There is and there will be much more ARC stuff around than RISC-V for a long while, and many companies will likely have committed to it decades ago for their embedded/microcontroller stuff even if it is not mainstream like ARM or MIPS.
        Historically, ARC actually outsells MIPS.

One of the big surprises I got at Synopsys' ARC conference is that ARC is #2 in terms of share of licensed microprocessor shipments. I think most readers of Semiwiki would know ARM is #1 but would guess that MIPS (now owned by Imagination Technologies) is #2. But you'd be wrong, ARC is over twice…

Note, among other things, that ARC is used in the Management Engine for Intel processors (except Atom, which use embedded SPARC cores.)

As for the person saying "why not RISC-V", ecosystem means a lot. RISC-V has a negligible RTOS ecosystem (well, last I looked) and still no mainline Linux port. For those of us that have to design systems for a decade-plus of use, maturity matters.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Cause ARC is configurable and comes with a whole ecosystem of fitting modules (peripherials, busses). Those who need some kind of special-purpose CPU won`t be served with a rather standardized ARM, MIPS or RISC-V.

Comment

Working...
          X