Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 2.10 Working On Xen 9pfs Support, MIPS EVA

Phoronix: QEMU 2.10 Working On Xen 9pfs Support, MIPS EVA

QEMU 2.10 is under development as the next step for this important piece of the open-source Linux virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why they are threatening to drop platform support. I don't understand why they would bother. It's fine for it to be unmaintained, if it breaks on those platforms (and somebody uses it) it will get fixed, if it doesn't break it'll have working support. If they remove it nobody will notice, and there will be no support. Host CPU support I could understand dropping, especially if it's something like IA64 which is hard to find hardware for, and basically only possible to emulate on QEMU itself anyway, which complicates testing.

I guess it's fair enough though, maybe I should set them up an OpenBSD CI machine, seems like OpenBSD runs properly on Google Compute Engine these days.
    Last edited by microcode; 26 July 2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      I wonder why they are threatening to drop platform support. I don't understand why they would bother. It's fine for it to be unmaintained, if it breaks on those platforms (and somebody uses it) it will get fixed, if it doesn't break it'll have working support. If they remove it nobody will notice, and there will be no support. Host CPU support I could understand dropping, especially if it's something like IA64 which is hard to find hardware for, and basically only possible to emulate on QEMU itself anyway, which complicates testing.

I guess it's fair enough though, maybe I should set them up an OpenBSD CI machine, seems like OpenBSD runs properly on Google Compute Engine these days.
      Support is dropped not because they don't have access to an OpenBSD machine, but because no one has accepted to be maintainer. If you are qualified and apply as maintainer, you might save OpenBSD support

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
        Support is dropped not because they don't have access to an OpenBSD machine, but because no one has accepted to be maintainer. If you are qualified and apply as maintainer, you might save OpenBSD support
        > They will continue to work in this release (though configure will warn you about the unsupported status), but in a future QEMU release we may drop support for those hosts unless somebody volunteers to help us with maintaining them (and can provide build/CI machines).

It seems as though it's a factor. Could help, if somebody else is qualified but does not want to set up and pay for CI infrastructure.

Comment

Working...
        X