Boost Is Planning A Move To CMake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    I just had my first run-in with Meson. A build system that totally breaks down when using a pure ASCII locale is useless in my book.
    https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/467
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 223: ordinal not in range(128)
    That's not a pure ASCII locale but likely some extended ASCII set. There is a 0xC3 byte which is outside of the normal ASCII encoding which only allows for bytes within the range 0x00-7F. That and similar errors are frequently caused in Python when trying to decode UTF-8 as ASCII (e.g., an accented "e" in UTF-8 will be encoded as the bytes 0xC3A9).

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post

Have you tried reading through Xorg. I think your point validates the opinion you replied to.
      Yes I have and found Meson files far more readable. So again, direct examples would be useful

Comment

Originally posted by dangerousHobo View Post

It wasn't fixed. It was marked as 'notabug'. They tell you to change your local to utf8 instead of ascii.
        Why wouldn't you use utf8 over ascii? Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Not according to the last comment.
          Exactly. I actually made my comment here only after having been told in ticket this was actually fixed in a reasonable way. The original fix of always assuming utf-8 sounded wrong to me, hence the questions. Ascii should *always* be promoted to utf-8 in programs as latter is a direct superset of latter. If your system is missing utf-8 support completely, it's just plain broken and you can't expect things to work with it

Comment

Meson is complete garbage.

It was never seriously considered by Boost.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post
              BeardedGNUFreak is complete troll.

It was never seriously considered by anyone.
              fixed.

Comment

This is just a small speedbump on the road to Jussi's complete world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

I do, in my terminals. But in the build system I only set the minimum viable environment to avoid (most) surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                    I do, in my terminals. But in the build system I only set the minimum viable environment to avoid (most) surprises.
                    It's a Python bug and should be fixed in 3.7: http://bugs.python.org/issue28180

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

There's no reason to use UTF8 in a build system.

Build tools can do their jobs entirely in 8-bit binary, they have no need to understand what a file name is or how it is constructed.

The "C" locale is also very useful for Unix text processing tools because it doesn't have to spend any time looking for character boundaries. It can just assume that everything is a series of bytes. That speeds up grep, awk, sed, ... everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X